Beckenbauer hits back at Blatter

Franz Beckenbauer has hit back at suggestions Sepp Blatter over the awarding of the 2006 World Cup.

Last Updated: 16/07/12 at 10:27 Post Comment

Beckenbauer: Not impressed with Blatter comments

Beckenbauer: Not impressed with Blatter comments

Franz Beckenbauer has hit back at suggestions by FIFA president Sepp Blatter that there was irregularity in the decision to award the 2006 World Cup to Germany.

In an interview with Switzerland's Blick newspaper on Sunday, Blatter suggested the vote for the host of the 2006 World Cup had not run smoothly and he suspected malpractice.

However, Beckenbauer, who was head of the organising committee for that tournament, was unhappy with the comments.

"I cannot understand the remarks and suggestions of Sepp Blatter," he said.

Blatter suggested the vote had been fixed to favour Germany over his own preference of South Africa.

Germany eventually won the right to host the tournament by 12 votes to 11, with New Zealand's representative of the Oceania confederation abstaining.

"When we talk about a World Cup being bought, I remember back to 2006 where, at the very last moment, somebody left the room and, instead of having a vote of 10-10, it finished 10-9 for Germany," said Blatter.

"I am pleased because I did not have to cast a deciding vote but for somebody to suddenly leave the room - maybe I was too kind or too naive at the time."

When asked if he presumed the vote had been fixed, Blatter said: "I don't presume anything, I am stating facts."

Those facts, according to Beckenbauer, are flawed.

"He has even got the result wrong," he said in Germany's Bild newspaper. "It was 12-11 and not 10-9.

"And what was decisive was that the eight Europeans all united behind us and voted for us."

The president of Germany's Football League, Dr Reinhard Rauball, has called for Blatter to step down as a result of the ISL bribery scandal which has recently come to light, but Blatter has ruled that out.

"It is nothing new that people want rid of me," said the Swiss.

"Sometimes it is the British media, then the American and then the German.

"The truth is, Rauball called me last Friday and told me that I should resign.

"I told him that it is not as easy as he imagines. The fact is, I have been elected by the congress.

"No club will decide whether and when I leave."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

C

isse should have appealed and explained that it was just a retaliation, just like Matic did. Apparently the FA are ok with retaliation.

Triangler
Cisse accepts FA charge

L

ove this guy. He's one of the few surviving players that I remember so vividly from Football Italia and Gazetta on Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons.

HarryBoulton
Francesco Totti - The King Of Rome

T

his is such a non-story it's unreal. I think we all know we are not playing to our potential yet and it hasn't yet clicked properly so he can celebrate or not celebrate all he wants.

GVMUFC
Van Gaal denies Giggs rift

Footer 365

Mesut Ozil defended by Arsene Wenger after Paul Scholes criticism

Arsene Wenger claims Paul Scholes "would have loved to play with Mesut Ozil".

Football Association names Martin Glenn as its new chief executive

The Football Association has named Martin Glenn as its new chief executive.

Arsenal's Gabriel Paulista out for up to three weeks with hamstring injury

Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Arsenal defender Gabriel has been ruled out for up to three weeks with a hamstring injury.

Mail Box

Is Sissoko's Neck Very Distinctive?

Moussa Sissoko features in a really quite bizarre Distinctive Physical Features XI while we have mails on sexism, Angel Di Maria and Francesco Totti. Ramdom.

Have To Trust Managers On Mata

It's all very well bemoaning the lack of action for Juan Mata, but we have to trust the judgement of Van Gaal and Mourinho. Plus Martinez Out, and Leicester are doomed...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company