Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas insists he has enough defensive cover to allow Michael Dawson to speak to Queens Park Rangers over a potential move.
Spurs have accepted a bid reported to be in excess of £9million for the 28-year-old defender, who joined from Nottingham Forest in 2005.
Dawson, who is set to undergo a medical and finalise personal terms at the west London club, was left out of the Spurs squad for Saturday's defeat to Newcastle.
Villas-Boas said: "His human qualities are highly appreciated by us and the football club.
"His skills as a footballer are second to none so we appreciate them as well.
"If we end up with a scenario with five central defenders there is more competition and there might be less opportunities.
"That's why we are willing to consider different options and we have allowed the player to speak to QPR."
Villas-Boas, meanwhile, has ruled out the possibility of signing another striker despite being strongly linked with Brazil forward Leandro Damiao.
Villas-Boas completed the much-needed capture of Emmanuel Adebayor this week and was expected to bolster his forward line further with a fresh bid for Internacional striker Damiao.
The 23-year-old, who Spurs have been tracking for over a year, is open to a move to the Barclays Premier League, but Villas-Boas now appears settled with his options up front.
Jermain Defoe has been linked with a move to QPR, but Villas-Boas will not let the England striker leave White Hart Lane and is also wedded to the idea of using 19-year-old academy product Harry Kane as his third choice striker.
When asked whether he would sign another striker, Villas-Boas said: "I don't think so. With Adebayor, Defoe and Kane coming through, I think I have enough options.
"Damiao is obviously a fantastic player but he is not our prospect at the moment because we are closed with what we are trying to do on the striker situation."
Defoe scored in Tottenham's season-opening defeat at Newcastle last week, but has hinted that he would be willing to leave White Hart Lane should he not get regular first-team football this season.
The 29-year-old, who has also been linked with Aston Villa and Sunderland, looks set to remain at the north London club, however.
"I spoke to his agent two days ago and conversations have been extremely productive," Villas-Boas added.
"Jermain is a player I have immense confidence in. I appreciate his qualities so I am hoping that he will continue to be a Tottenham player."