Pardew: Demba Ba will join Chelsea

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has no doubt Demba Ba's move to Chelsea will go through - and says "he will go with our blessing".

Last Updated: 02/01/13 at 23:59 Post Comment

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is confident striker Demba Ba's proposed move to Chelsea will go through, allowing the Magpies to "move on".

The Blues have been given permission to talk to the 27-year-old Senegal international after meeting the £7million release clause stipulated in the deal he signed with Newcastle during the summer of 2011.

Ba was withdrawn from the Newcastle squad for the Barclays Premier League clash with Everton at St James' Park as a result.

And speaking before kick-off, Pardew was confident a deal was just a matter of time.

"It's done. He will go to Chelsea with our blessing," Pardew told Sky Sports 1. "He has done fantastic for us and it's not a bad thing, all the uncertainty is now done and we can move on.

"This club is bigger than any player for sure."

Pardew admitted the timing of the news was not ideal, but added: "The ball was always in Demba's court."

A club statement had earlier read: "Newcastle United can confirm that Chelsea Football Club has made an official offer for Demba Ba which has triggered the release clause in the player's contract.

"The club has given the player permission to speak to Chelsea FC."

The move comes as little surprise after the Londoners held talks with the player's representatives at the weekend.

Those discussions were later described as "unproductive", but there was a feeling that it would not be the end of the matter.

Newcastle have tried unsuccessfully to renegotiate Ba's contract in recent months to prevent a repeat of the speculation which surrounded him during the summer.

However, with the former Hoffenheim and West Ham forward's representatives actively trying to move him on - Magpies boss Alan Pardew hit out earlier this week at the network of people purporting to be looking after the player - their hopes of securing him on a firmer footing always looked doomed.

Ba has been a major hit on Tyneside - he scored 16 goals last season and took his tally for the current campaign to 13 with a double in the 7-3 defeat at Arsenal on Saturday - and Pardew was desperate to keep him.

However, Newcastle were not prepared to shatter their wage structure to accommodate his demands.

The initial three-year contract was complicated with Newcastle looking to protect themselves after Ba had earlier failed a medical at Stoke because of a chronic knee condition, while the player kept his options open.

He has now opted to consider the alternatives, although it remains to be seen if Chelsea are prepared to give him what he wants, with any deal sure to cost them way in excess of £7million even before his salary is taken into account.


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Premier League: Yaya Toure happy to stay at Manchester City

Yaya Toure has reaffirmed his commitment to Manchester City, insisting he wants to stay for "as long as possible".

Champions League: Henning Berg hopeful of Legia Warsaw's chances against Celtic

Legia Warsaw boss Henning Berg hopes his side can get a positive result against Celtic in their Champions League tie.

Premier League: Ross Barkley signs new four-year contract at Everton

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the club.

Mail Box

Youth Development Has To Be The Future

A varied Mailbox has thoughts on transfer targets, youth development, the obsession over 3-5-2, some innovative Blackpool suggestions and why Real bought Kroos...

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property