AVB responds to Redknapp jibe

Andre Villas-Boas insists Harry Redknapp is in no place to judge whether only a "dope" can manage Chelsea.

Last Updated: 10/01/13 at 22:35 Post Comment

Villas-Boas: Has responded to Redknapp comment

Villas-Boas: Has responded to Redknapp comment

Saturday sees Villas-Boas go head to head with QPR boss Redknapp for the first time since the 35-year-old replaced the former Southampton manager in the White Hart Lane hot seat last summer.

Redknapp, who was sacked in June despite leading Spurs to fourth, fifth, and fourth during his three full seasons in charge, appeared to aim a jibe at Villas-Boas earlier this season when he claimed that big dossiers - a staple of the Portuguese's management style - can "baffle" players.

Shortly after taking over at QPR in November, Redknapp then told a press conference before his team's game against Chelsea that only a "dope" could fail to succeed at the west London club with the riches and players on offer.

When asked what he thought of Redknapp's claims, Villas-Boas replied: "Only if you manage a club you are going to find out.

"You have to be able to access a club like that to experience it.

"It's a different type of club. You just have to experience it and to survive it."

Redknapp may be one of the most sociable managers in the country, but Villas-Boas, who came across the 65-year-old when Chelsea played Spurs last season, revealed on Thursday that he has never really talked to his predecessor.

"I've never spoken to him," Villas-Boas said.

"We shook hands in the beginning of Tottenham-Chelsea but... no, I've never spoken to him."

Villas-Boas was determined to succeed after being brought in to replace Carlo Ancelotti last summer, but amid reports of unrest among the playing staff, the former Porto boss was sacked after less than nine months in charge.

The Spurs boss could be forgiven for thinking he is better off out of Stamford Bridge given what has gone on since he left.

Despite landing the one trophy Roman Abramovich craved the most - the Champions League - Roberto Di Matteo lasted just eight months before being removed and it has been far from plain sailing for his successor Rafael Benitez.

The Spaniard was subjected to the latest in a series of barrackings on Wednesday night from the home support as Chelsea lost 2-0 to Swansea in the first leg of their Capital One Cup semi-final.

Villas-Boas admits he feels under far less pressure at Spurs, who currently sit one place above the Blues in the Barclays Premier League.

"I was booed. It's a consequence of the demands of the job," Villas-Boas said.

"Chelsea is a high-profile club where media attention is high and everything is scrutinised and it's a different type of environment.

"This is a high-profile club but with different circumstances, different players, and different objectives and not so much media attention.

"Through the years Chelsea have had eight or nine managers.

"This club has found a little bit more stability in management recently."

Villas-Boas may have already signed two players this month, but rumours persist that the Portuguese is set to add further names to his squad.

Yet the Spurs boss insisted on Thursday that it is "very, very unlikely" he will bring in any more new faces this month despite the fact that he will be without Emmanuel Adebayor for up to a month following Saturday's game at Loftus Road.

Adebayor's decision to go to the African Nations Cup leaves Jermain Defoe as Tottenham's only recognised striker, but Villas-Boas gave a flat "no" when asked if he was interested in Sevilla's Alvaro Negredo and also played down reports linking him with a bid for Internacional hitman Leandro Damiao.

"Leandro is a player that we have always appreciated at this club (but) it is extremely unlikely that he will play for Tottenham," Villas-Boas said.

"I don't think Adebayor's decision will affect our transfer policy.

"We've been pretty happy with the options we have available.

"We understand that we can put ourselves in a difficult position if one of our strikers gets injured, but we've been in this situation before when Ade was injured, and we managed to go through it.

"I think we're able to cope. We always believe in Clint Dempsey as a striker."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

W

hy is the dinosaur trying to hold on to this.... Just leave... No one wants you in this position you corrupt loser. Let someone else take over....

arsenal121
Defiant Sepp blames minority

N

ow is the time for Allardyce to finally get a chance at a big club please. He is likely to have a number of great offers for his services this summer, but who will he choose? Will it be Liverpool, Real Madrid, Dortmund or Man City?

medina_sod
Allardyce leaves West Ham

I

thought exactly this when the Match of the Day pundits were peddling this line. Is it really not okay for fans of a club to have some ambition these days then?

damoceltic
Bored Of Big Sam? It's Your Right...

Footer 365

D-day for FIFA as Sepp Blatter opens 65th congress

Sepp Blatter has formally opened FIFA's congress on a day his critics hope could signal a new start for football.

FA chairman Greg Dyke calls for possible Russia 2018 boycott

FA chairman Greg Dyke wants UEFA nations to consider pulling out of the World Cup finals in Russia in three years' time.

Sepp Blatter vs Prince Ali: FIFA election explained

Will Sepp Blatter see off Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein? We explain how Friday's presidential vote works...

Mail Box

What Is It That FIFA Actually Do?

That's the question raised timidly by someone sat at the back of the room, whilst others remind that UEFA aren't perfect either. Plus a few more gone on to better XIs...

Time To Step Up, Mr Platini...

UEFA should step up and extend the Euros to replace FIFA's tarnished World Cup, say a couple of mailboxers. Also: all hail Carlo, King of the Kop, and plenty more Budget XIs...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company