Harry Redknapp is closing in on the signing of Anzhi defender Christopher Samba after QPR triggered his release clause.
The 28-year-old has been with the Russian club for less than a year, having joined them from Blackburn for an undisclosed fee last February.
Anzhi boss Guus Hiddink has confirmed the former Blackburn star is heading to England and slammed the manner of the defender's departure.
"He left for England yesterday," Hiddink confirmed on Wednesday.
"I hope that today or tomorrow we'll find out what has really happened.
"It's a shame to talk about this but he didn't even say goodbye, he didn't explain anything to us.
"Whatever happens to you in life, you should take into account the people with whom you work with.
"It's not a great situation for us. He started the pre-season camps with us, but then suddenly in the last few days he started to make contact with England, that's despite still being on contract with Anzhi.
"Now we have a new situation. We need to be realistic and see what we can do before the transfer window closes."
An Anzhi club spokesman insisted there was no comment to make, saying: "We don't comment on rumors. All news is posted to our official site."
The Congolese defender's arrival would go some way to bolstering a defence that Redknapp knows needs reinforcing.
Already short at the back, QPR loaned Anton Ferdinand to Bursaspor earlier this week and are planning for life without Ryan Nelsen.
The New Zealander, one of their star players in an otherwise poor campaign, is set to leave the Rs on February 1 to become head coach of Toronto FC.
Nelsen was given a guard of honour after helping the Hoops to a 0-0 draw against Manchester City last night and, speaking after the game, Redknapp said: "We are struggling a bit.
"We lose Ryan Nelsen now and I haven't got a replacement.
"We are desperately short. The chairman is dealing with it (Samba deal) I don't know where we are at with it.
"He (Tony Fernandes) asked me about a week ago if I would be interested if he could get me Samba and I said 'of course, he is a fantastic competitor'."
Reports suggest it would take a £10million fee to prise Samba away from Anzhi - a price QPR look willing to pay as they attempt to avoid relegation in just their second season back in the top flight.
Loic Remy, Tal Ben Haim and Yun Suk-young have already arrived at Loftus Road this month, with the latter completing his move this morning.
Samba could be next in at the west London club, who are also being heavily linked with a move for Stoke striker Peter Crouch - a player Redknapp previously managed at Southampton, Portsmouth and Tottenham.