Pochettino wants Puncheon stay

Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino hopes a new contract can be agreed with Jason Puncheon over the coming weeks.

Last Updated: 22/02/13 at 23:58 Post Comment

Jason Puncheon: Has become an integral part of the team

Jason Puncheon: Has become an integral part of the team

Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino hopes a new contract can be agreed with Jason Puncheon over the coming weeks.

The 26-year-old joined from Plymouth just over three years ago but his time at St Mary's has not always been plain sailing.

Puncheon spent several loan spells away from the club after losing his place in the first team and little over a year ago took to Twitter to criticise Southampton executive chairman Nicola Cortese.

The winger threatened to see out the rest of his contract training with the reserves and youth team, but the pair patched up their differences and he has now become an integral part of the team.

So much so, in fact, that Southampton fans are clamouring for Puncheon to extend his stay beyond the end of the season - something Pochettino would also like to see.

"I myself haven't spoken anything about his contract," the Argentinian said, speaking through a translator.

"I've only recently arrived so my first priority has to be the whole of the team, not just one player.

"There are certain movements that were already happening with players when I arrived.

"In the coming weeks we will be speaking at a club level with the appropriate people to decide on the matters of players at the club.

"Puncheon is a player I am counting on and he is a player that has certain qualities and skills that are good for the team so, yes, I'd like him to stay."

On Sunday Puncheon will be coming up against the man that first brought him to St Mary's.

Alan Pardew managed Saints for a little over a year and the Newcastle boss has previously been linked with a move for the winger.

Asked how he would reacted if approached by Magpies boss about Puncheon, Pochettino said: "I wouldn't be able to do anything if that were the case.

"It will be down to the player to make that decision. I've said before that we will make decisions on the future."

Puncheon is one of several players, including Rickie Lambert and Jose Fonte, that were brought to Southampton by Pardew.

However, Pochettino, much like predecessor Nigel Adkins before the home match with Newcastle earlier in the season, says he owes the former boss nothing.

"I always think that in football is not just one person signing any one players," he said. "It is the club signing the players.

"Now I am the manager here and I will probably bring in some players.

"Some players will work out so maybe sometime in the future I may be thanked, but then there will be players that didn't work out. That is how football really is."

Reports in Spain suggested one player that Pochettino had hoped to bring in during the January transfer window was Getafe's Abdelaziz Barrada.

It was claimed the Saints failed with a club-record £15.25million bid for the midfielder, who has been linked to Barcelona and Real Madrid.

"There is no truth to that," Pochettino said. "Nothing of the sort has happened.

"On a personal level, I have not made any offers, any approaches, for any players."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

C

onfirmed. Nick Miller is a douche bag. Lazy, incoherent rant is what this article should be titled. And for the editor to have the temerity to pass this as acceptable writing is shocking. Ah well, anything for clicks right? You got mine. Well done. Your mother must be proud.

poolshortsdown
Gerrard Constantly Searching For That Final Hurrah

T

his Martinez guy is mental. He'll get us relegated. I said that when they appointed him. Sack him now, Bill!

nilsatisnisi
'No need to replace Eto'o'

I

f we sign Gignac, we might as well immediately send him onward to Crystal Palace.

dr soccer
Who Are The Best Summer Freebies?

Footer 365

Premier League: Costa loses appeal against FA charge and gets three-match ban

Diego Costa has lost his appeal against an FA violent conduct charge and will start a three-match ban against Man City.

Sinclair joins Aston Villa on a season-long loan from Manchester City

Scott Sinclair has joined Aston Villa on a season-long loan from Manchester City, with a view to a permanent move.

Premier League: Arsene Wenger convinced new signing Gabriel will be a hit at Arsenal

Arsene Wenger says new signing Gabriel ticks all the boxes when it comes to coping with the demands of English football.

Mail Box

Red Mist Better Than Calculated Costa?

Hmmm. We're not sure about this argument - one Mailbox says Luis Suarez is easier to forgive because he is a little loco. We also have mails on Studge and more...

It's A Massive, Big, Brilliant Mailbox

And we left lots of Suarez/Costa mails unopened. What we do have is a video of some rotten Suarez tackles and views on the future of football, Spurs, Liverpool and...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company