Stoke opt against Huth appeal

Robert Huth will now serve a three-match ban after Stoke opted not to appeal the FA's violent conduct charge against him.

Last Updated: 27/02/13 at 18:25 Post Comment

Robert Huth: Could get ban from the FA

Robert Huth: Could get ban from the FA

Stoke defender Robert Huth will serve a three-match suspension after deciding not to contest a Football Association charge of violent conduct.

The German was charged on Tuesday following a clash with Fulham defender Philippe Senderos in Saturday's 1-0 defeat at Craven Cottage that was missed by match officials at the time.

Huth will miss this weekend's Barclays Premier League meeting with West Ham as well as matches against Newcastle and West Brom.

Stoke said in a statement on their website: "Stoke City have confirmed that Robert Huth has accepted the charge of violent conduct following an incident in last weekend's game at Craven Cottage."

Video footage from the match showed Huth catching Senderos with his forearm, and Stoke would have been mindful that an appeal deemed frivolous could have resulted in an extra match being added to the ban.

Huth's absence will break up his centre-back partnership with captain Ryan Shawcross, and boss Tony Pulis must now decide who to move into the centre.

Stoke loaned Matthew Upson to Brighton last month, which has left them without another specialist centre-half.

Versatile United States international Geoff Cameron would appear to be the obvious candidate while full-backs Ryan Shotton and Marc Wilson could also come into contention.

Wilson made his comeback at Fulham following a broken leg and he would be happy to fill in for Huth if required.

The Republic of Ireland international told the Sentinel: "I will play anywhere for the team and do a job. There was a time at Portsmouth when all the centre-halves were out and I played about 20 games there."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

O

ne of the conclusions from this list is that Man City should never buy a striker in January - good luck Wilfried Bony....

Savinator
F365's Top Ten Worst January Panic Buys

I

was there, it was embarrassing - the team looked totally unbalanced from the off, the defence was woeful and when Mikel came off injured it got even worse with nobody in front of them. Up front on several occasions we had opportunities and nobody would shoot - it was a complete farse! On the back of Salah's performance I'm glad there is talk of getting shot...

Fly1ngh1gh
Cup defeat shames Mourinho

G

reat to see Tommy Rosicky getting some love. A wonderful player. Such a pity we lost so long to injury. I was so excited when we signed him, this resurgence only makes the absences seem more of a lost opportunity.

cheshire-gooner
16 Conclusions: FA Cup Fourth Round Weekend

Footer 365

Transfer news: Samuel Eto'o leaves Everton for Sampdoria on free transfer

Samuel Eto'o has completed his free transfer from Everton to Sampdoria on a two-and-a-half-year deal.

Transfer news: Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino coy on transfers

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino refuses to discuss transfer activity ahead of semi-final against Sheffield United.

Andrea Pirlo: Pogba not going back to Manchester United

Andrea Pirlo says that Manchester United must 'live with their mistake' of allowing Paul Pogba to leave because he is never coming back.

Mail Box

The Problem With FA Cup Shocks...

...is that the draw for the next round is pretty shocking. Blackburn v Stoke, anybody? We also have mails on LVG and ManUnited, who drew plenty under Fergie...

You're Man Utd, For Crying Out Loud!

Defending a 0-0 draw with Cambridge on the grounds that other teams lost to lower-league opposition is not befitting of Man United. We're inclined to agree with Mailboxers...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company