Mancini hits out at Belgium boss

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has hit out at Belgium counterpart Marc Wilmots for selecting Vincent Kompany.

Last Updated: 28/03/13 at 11:40 Post Comment

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has hit out at Belgium counterpart Marc Wilmots for selecting captain Vincent Kompany for international duty this week.

Kompany made his first competitive appearance in eight weeks when he featured in his country's World Cup qualifier against Macedonia on Tuesday night.

The 26-year-old defender had been sidelined since suffering a calf injury in the FA Cup fourth-round win at Stoke on January 26 and had a potential comeback date put back several times.

That did not prevent him being called up by Belgium and although the national skipper did not play in last Friday's game in Macedonia, he played all 90 minutes of the return fixture in Brussels.

Mancini said: "He didn't play for us for 60 days and then he went to play for the Belgium team.

"I did not agree with this. I think sometimes some managers of national teams should understand the situation.

"This player plays for the club and the club, every month, pay his salary.

"I don't know if he is okay or not. One week before the international break he was not fit to play for us.

"I didn't see Vinny yesterday. I will see him today."

Mancini hopes Kompany will be fit to return for his side in Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash with Newcastle at the Etihad Stadium.

Mancini, speaking at a press conference to preview the game, added that striker Sergio Aguero is fit and could make his comeback.

The 24-year-old has missed City's last three games with a knee injury.

He returned to Argentina for treatment during his lay-off, and linked up with the national squad, but did not play and has been back training at Carrington for the past week.

Mancini said: "Sergio is okay. I think he could be ready for Saturday."

Mancini was also asked about the latest speculation concerning his own future and that of midfield talisman Yaya Toure.

The Italian has grown used to recurring stories linking him with other clubs or suggesting the City hierarchy could bring his tenure to a premature end.

A new report has claimed Monaco - who it was claimed made an approach last season - are again preparing to move for the 48-year-old as a potential replacement for Claudio Ranieri.

Mancini said: "No. Monaco, for me, are one of the best (teams) in France now. Now they are in the second division.

"They have a good manager and I stay here for a long time, like Yaya."

Speculation over Toure has arisen after his agent expressed frustration about what he sees as a delay to discussions over a new contract.

But 29-year-old Toure has more than two years left on his current contract and Mancini feels there is enough time to resolve the issue.

Mancini said: "Yaya will stay here for a long time. Yaya is one of the best players in the world and he will stay here for another three, four, five (years), I don't know. A long time."


Get £400 from your free £10 bet with Sky Bet if Manchester City win 4-2


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

B

alotelli would've scored if the goals height was 3 times higher too...

footyfan52
Rodgers defends Balotelli

A

s if storey would ever get invited on a stag do

dooby
Does Wenger Know He's To Blame?

I

disagree. We sit here in our ivory towers looking down our noses at people we perceive tio be thick, but if Harry Redknapp and Tim Sherwood can do it, frankly, anyone can.........

HarryBoulton
Roy: Rooney can become manager

Footer 365

Government reveal plans aimed at making it easier for fans to run football clubs

The Government has revealed plans to establish a group of experts aimed at making it easier for fans to run football clubs.

Louis van Gaal felt individual errors spoiled a good display from Manchester United in draw at West Brom

Louis van Gaal felt that Manchester United produced their 'best match of the season', despite the 2-2 draw at West Brom.

Premier League: QPR forward Adel Taarabt criticises Harry Redknapp over claims he is unfit

QPR forward Adel Taarabt has hit back at manager Harry Redknapp over claims that he is overweight and unfit to play.

Mail Box

Reimbursing Fans? How Patronising...

It's something of a return to form for the mailbox with mails on Southampton (Liverpool fans are cynical), the gorgeous Graziano Pelle, Arsenal, Spurs and more...

Let's Face It, Liverpool Were Utter Dross

It's a reactive Monday morning Mailbox. Liverpool fans are getting pretty sodding worried, whilst we have the latest on the Southampton CRISIS. Plus, well done Michael Oliver...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property