Sessegnon appeal turned down

Stephane Sessegnon will miss the remainder of the season after failing in his appeal against his sending off at Aston Villa.

Last Updated: 01/05/13 at 18:17 Post Comment

Sessegnon: Will not feature again this season

Sessegnon: Will not feature again this season

Sunderland forward Stephane Sessegnon will miss the rest of the season after failing in his appeal against the three-match ban for his sending off against Aston Villa on Monday night, the FA has confirmed.

Referee Lee Probert issued a straight red card for Sessegnon's second-half challenge on Yacouba Sylla as the Black Cats slumped to a 6-1 Barclays Premier League defeat.

The 28-year-old will now miss Sunderland's remaining three games against Stoke, Southampton and Tottenham as Paolo Di Canio's men battle for survival.

The player was astonished to be dismissed and Di Canio signalled the club's intention to appeal within minutes of the final whistle, but that has been rejected.

An FA statement read: "At an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing today, Stephane Sessegnon's claim of wrongful dismissal was unsuccessful meaning the Sunderland AFC player's three-match ban remains with immediate effect.

"Sessegnon was dismissed for serious foul play during his side's game against Aston Villa on Monday 29 April 2013."

The Benin international's red card was the second of his career in England, the first coming in a 1-1 league draw at Newcastle in March last year.

Sessegnon's absence will come as a major blow as he has been in sparkling form under new boss Di Canio, scoring the first goal in their 3-0 derby win at Newcastle and then firing his side to victory over Everton six days later to send them clear of the relegation zone.

Despite their humiliation at Villa, Sunderland, like Paul Lambert's men and the Magpies, remain five points better off than 18th-placed Wigan, although the Latics have a game in hand.

Sunderland take on the Potters and Southampton at home in their next two games and will hope to have safety wrapped up before travelling to White Hart Lane on the final day to face a Tottenham side which could still be battling for a Champions League place.


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

T

his is brilliant! All these years of moral ambiguity, grey areas of offence and context..now we have a simple, easy to follow guide to right and wrong. What did you do today? I kicked the face off a panda . Oh well, you didn't rape, kill anyone or abuse a minor, knock yourself champ.

megabrow (cufc)
Redknapp leaps to Mackay defence

I

wonder if he'd feel the same way if he wasn't a white, non-jewish heterosexual male. Because Mackay has basically insulted everyone else!

Jay_D
Redknapp leaps to Mackay defence

C

heers Harry. I was wondering if he'd murdered anyone

Ezy_Rider
Redknapp leaps to Mackay defence

Footer 365

Premier League: Harry Redknapp happy with QPR's transfer dealings

Harry Redknapp is convinced his summer transfer business will prove solid enough to keep QPR in the Premier League.

Transfer news: No good behaviour clause in Mario Balotelli's Liverpool contract, says agent

Mario Balotelli will join Liverpool next week, but won't have a good behaviour clause in his contract, his agent says.

Premier League: Stoke City boss Mark Hughes is determined to keep Asmir Begovic

Stoke boss Mark Hughes says that Asmir Begovic will not be leaving the club during this summer’s transfer window.

Mail Box

More Fan Mail For Football365...

'Just p*ss off with your righteous indignation will you. W*nkers.' There's a lot of anger going around for what should have been a sleepy Friday afternoon at F365 Towers...

Man United: One Game To Save Season

They have one match to convince decent players that they are worth joining - over to you, Louis. We also have mails on Malky Mackay, Mario Balotelli and Tim...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property