Inter reject Cassano claim

Inter Milan head coach Walter Mazzarri has rejected Antonio Cassano's claim that he reneged on a promise made to him.

Last Updated: 05/07/13 at 13:17 Post Comment

Antonio Cassano: Said he was promised a starting berth

Antonio Cassano: Said he was promised a starting berth

Inter Milan head coach Walter Mazzarri has rejected Antonio Cassano's claim that he reneged on a promise made to the former Nerazzurri striker.

Cassano, 30, signed for Parma on a three-year contract on Wednesday after spending one season at San Siro, in which he scored seven league goals as Inter finished ninth in Serie A.

At yesterday's unveiling the Bari-born striker claimed new Inter boss Mazzarri had promised him a starting berth for the 2013-14 campaign, only to back out of the pledge and exclude Cassano from his plans.

Former Napoli coach Mazzarri denied the accusation, telling Inter's official website: "What I said to the club is exactly what I said when I held my (introductory) press conference.

"I haven't spoken to or about the players since then because I was waiting for the start of the season.

"I don't see how I can have decided who my first-choice players and squad players are before I've even had the chance to coach them.

"I'd like to put on record that the last time I spoke to Cassano was at the Inter v Napoli match in the first half of last season. On that occasion I just said hello to him on the pitch."

Cassano had told La Repubblica Sport: "I thank (president Massimo) Moratti and (director of sport Marco) Branca but not Mazzarri.

"First of all he told me I would be a definite starter, but then he changed his mind. So I left Inter because I wasn't going to be in his plans.

"I'm keen on people who will show me love from day one. (Parma coach Roberto) Donadoni has big plans and was happy to bring me to Parma."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

B

enteke is an absolute steal for £32.5m, he would get into any team in the world (except Barcelona) at the moment. I've seen many very good strikers in my 30+ years as a Villa fan. This guy is the best without question.

sparkigol
Benteke's £32.5m release clause

A

ll he wants are sharks with frickin lazers on their heads. Is that too much to ask?

mufc phil
Bomb threat on FIFA D-day

W

hy is the dinosaur trying to hold on to this.... Just leave... No one wants you in this position you corrupt loser. Let someone else take over....

arsenal121
Defiant Sepp blames minority

Footer 365

David Gill confirms he will not take up FIFA executive committee post

Football Association vice-chairman David Gill has confirmed he will not take up his post on FIFA’s executive committee.

Sepp Blatter claims he knows how to fix FIFA after re-election

Sepp Blatter says he knows how to fix FIFA’s broken reputation after a traumatic week for football’s governing body.

Sepp Blatter will not last two years, says FA chairman Greg Dyke

FA chairman Greg Dyke is not surprised Sepp Blatter won a fifth term as FIFA president but he does not expect him to even last two years.

Mail Box

Players Must Stand Up For Qatar Boycott

Players, not bureaucrats, hold the key to boycotting Qatar. Also in the afternoon mailbox: Wenger is right to rotate, Zlatan can dribble, and it's Barca v Ajax in the budget final...

What Would You Do If You Were Blatter?

Step into Sepp's shoes, is the invitation from one mailboxer. Also: United already have their new number one, Rodgers deserves time, and the best Budget XI so far...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company