Martinez: No offers for duo

Roberto Martinez says Everton have received no further offers for Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini.

Last Updated: 25/07/13 at 10:55 Post Comment

Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini: Neither is the subject of any current off

Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini: Neither is the subject of any current off

New Everton manager Roberto Martinez says the club have received no further offers for highly-rated duo Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini.

England left-back Baines was reportedly the subject of an offer from Manchester United a few weeks ago while Arsenal are reportedly interested in Belgian midfielder Fellaini.

However, asked if there had been any recent bids for the pair, Martinez replied: "Not at all, not at all.

"I know that is not what you might want to hear but everyone here is focused on fighting for spots in the starting line-up and the competitive level in this group is impressive.

"I don't think speculation is healthy, we are just trying to become as good as we can before the transfer window closes.

"If we get clubs talking about our players we take it as compliment, because the players have been impressing and doing really well.

"We are in a great position financially and we want to start the season with the best squad we can."

Asked if he was surprised that United had not made an improved offer for Baines, Martinez added: "No, the last concern I have is what other clubs do.

"I can say I have been really impressed with the togetherness of this group. I can see that in training every day and it makes me proud."

Regarding whether he expects to have retained all his key personnel by the time the Premier League season gets underway, Martinez said: "You should never ask a manager that!

"The modern game does not allow a manager to have that control.

"But I'm very excited, the squad is very strong. We have some good youngsters who I feel can come in and help the first team.

"We will carry on trying to become as strong as we can."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

d like to add players who push their team-mates out of the way to celebrate on their own

exhausted
The Ten Most Hated Things In Football

I

f I were Manuel Pellegrini I would keep quiet and hope the Board didn't notice City not winning anything. If he isn't sacked I'd be astonished.

lfcfan80
Pellegrini: I won't be sacked

S

till I suppose it still gives him at least another year in the job. By the time it comes around , he can always make up another excuse. First it was 3 months , then a year .....Next year ? Whats his excuse with Van Persie ?

spud1
Di Maria 'could peak next year'

Footer 365

Newcastle 0-1 Man United: Evans and Cisse accused of spitting as visitors leave it late...

Manchester United nicked a 1-0 win at Newcastle but Jonny Evans and Papiss Cisse were involved in an unsavoury incident.

Neville 'concerned' over Reds form

Gary Neville has admitted that he is "concerned" that a resurgent Liverpool could qualify for the Champions League ahead of Manchester United.

Boro claim top spot as Derby lose

Middlesbrough became the new Championship leaders as they took advantage of Derby's latest slip by beating Millwall 3-0.

Mail Box

Look Away Now Please, Sherwood...

Sherwood's cringeworthiness, Matic's Wembley celebrations, why LVG must show balls - it's all here in your Wednesday afternoon Mailbox...

United's No 2 Isn't That Bad Either...

One mailboxer is getting in a flap about the claim Man Utd would struggle without De Dea, while there's some anger directed at Chelsea...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company