Coentrao stays; no Bale news

Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed Fabio Coentrao will be staying at Real Madrid but there was no Gareth Bale update.

Last Updated: 01/09/13 at 19:00 Post Comment

Gareth Bale: Wait for Real Madrid move continues

Gareth Bale: Wait for Real Madrid move continues

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed Fabio Coentrao will be staying with the Spanish giants amid speculation of a possible move ahead of Monday's transfer deadline, but there was no update from the Italian on the club's summer-long pursuit of Gareth Bale.

Barclays Premier League clubs Manchester United, Chelsea and Tottenham have all been linked with Portugal left-back Coentrao, who has not been involved in any of Madrid's opening three Primera Division matches and was said to be keen to leave the Bernabeu.

However, Ancelotti has said the 25-year-old, who cost Madrid a reported 30million euros (£25.6m) when he joined from Benfica in 2011, has told the club he wants to continue.

"Fabio is staying. I understood that he wanted to go, but really it was not the same desire for everyone. Now he's decided to stay and everybody, the club, players and coaching staff, are happy with this decision," the Italian told reporters following Madrid's 3-1 home win over Athletic Bilbao on Sunday.

Regarding other possible comings and goings at Madrid before the transfer deadline, Ancelotti was non-committal.

Madrid are widely expected to confirm the signing of Spurs star Bale in the next 24 hours but there is still nothing official from either club, while the future of Madrid playmaker Kaka is also the subject of widespread speculation after the Brazil international announced last week he wanted to leave.

Ancelotti said: "I don't really know what is going to happen tomorrow. I cannot say today. Anything could happen, both with regards to players coming in and players going out."

Madrid made it three Primera Division wins from three with their home triumph over Athletic.

Summer signing Isco continued his good early-season form with a brace while Cristiano Ronaldo netted Madrid's other goal to open his account for the season.

However, while those two players grabbed the goals it was Luka Modric who took the plaudits with a performance that Ancelotti described as "fantastic".

"I think that Modric has played a fantastic match, Isco also, and Cristiano scored which is good for him," he added.

"He didn't have a problem but for a forward to score is always good."

The former Chelsea and Paris St Germain boss added: "It was a good game. We didn't have much intensity to start with but after 15 minutes the team started to play with more rhythm. The first half was good.

"I'm very happy. It's a very good squad and I'm going to work to improve the play. With these players we will play well. The team is working well and in the last 15 days we've improved."


Sky Bet Free Bet Club: £10 free bet - £5 free every week


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

think all those names linked to United exits make sense. Kagawa has never really looked like hitting the form he had at Dortmund and Fellaini is radioactive after last season (even though I think he's been unfairly singled out for criticism). Nani and Anderson have had more than their fair share of chances so they are done, and Hernandez deserves better than warming a bench.

ted, manchester
The Insecure Gossip

H

e'll be off to Spurs (or better) in January and I don't blame him. Looking forward to re-signing Grant Holt as his replacement though.

notalentjones
Benteke ignoring speculation

I

n fairness, he does look absolutely shattered in that photo.....

FairyNuff
Shaw told to shape up

Footer 365

Champions League: John Collins claims Celtic will have to be at best to get past Legia Warsaw

John Collins says Legia Warsaw pose a huge threat to his dream of Champions League football with Celtic this season.

Premier League: Daniel Sturridge confident Liverpool can shine without Luis Suarez

Daniel Sturridge believes Liverpool have the squad to handle Luis Suarez's exit and will challenge for top honours.

Transfer news: Simon Mignolet backs Liverpool target Divock Origi and welcomes Pepe Reina return

Liverpool are closing in on Divock Origi and the Belgium youngster has been tipped to shine in the Premier League.

Mail Box

Don't You Worry About Southampton...

We can't help but agree with one mailboxer who tries to calm the crisis-mongers gathering around Southampton, while we have mails on Man United's squad...

No Wonder Wenger Doesn't Buy British

That's if reports that Calum Chambers cost Arsenal £16m are to be believed. The English premium shows no signs of disappearing. Plus, worrying about poor Southampton...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property