Europe backs winter World Cup

European countries have given their overall backing to moving the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to the winter.

Last Updated: 19/09/13 at 13:36 Post Comment

European countries have given their overall backing to moving the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to the winter, Britain's FIFA vice-president has confirmed.

Jim Boyce, from Northern Ireland, said however the 54 UEFA associations meeting in Dubrovnik, Croatia, want FIFA to consult with the game's major stakeholders before making any decision about exactly when the tournament is staged.

FIFA's executive committee is now expected to agree in principle to move the World Cup to the winter at its meeting in Zurich on October 3/4.

Boyce, speaking from Dubrovnik, said: "What has come out of this meeting, and what I think is sensible, is an agreement by the UEFA countries that the World Cup cannot be played in Qatar in the summer. Everyone was certainly in agreement about that.

"But what the 54 countries do not want FIFA to do is to make a decision yet on exactly when in the year it is going to be played.

"There is still nine years to go and people feel FIFA should sit down with all the major stakeholders and come up with a solution that would cause the minimum disruption to football.

"There is plenty of time to do that in my opinion, and hopefully football will be the winner."

There could well be disagreements in the future however over whether it is played in January 2022 or November/December of that year.

The British associations told the meeting they want to make sure that the Christmas week is protected for domestic football, while UEFA chiefs favour January so that it would not impact on the Champions League.

FIFA are believed to favour November/December so that it does not clash with the winter Olympics.

The meeting saw the 54 European countries split into four groups to debate the issues surrounding moving the tournament in Qatar.

At least one of the groups, including the Scottish FA, suggested a possible start to the tournament as January 22, 2022, and Boyce said his personal preference would be for the end of January and February.

That however would bring FIFA into direct conflict with the powerful International Olympic Committee, who would not want any clash with the winter Olympics.

Other groups at the Dubrovnik meeting had different views on the best date to hold a winter tournament and Boyce said no overall decision was reached on that issue.

He added: "There has been no decision on whether it should be in January or another time. The European federations do not want FIFA to decide on the dates without consultation."

Last week, FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke said Christmas matches would not be affected by any switch - and that there was no chance of moving the tournament from Qatar.

Valcke said: "We are not talking about taking Christmas or New Year away. Christmas is safe. The World Cup will not be played between December 24-January 1, so that will mean Boxing Day is safe.

"We are not talking about removing we are talking about moving, that's key. We are talking about moving [the tournament] in the year 2022 in the country which has been awarded the World Cup."


Sky Bet Free Bet Club: £10 free bet - £5 free every week


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

O

K FIFA we're done, you can ban us now

jimmyjazz
Barcelona transfer ban upheld

A

h Daniel. I could spend hours on this subject putting the world to rights. You can even take a step back and ask why football fans (and society in general) have this need to know that something will happen before it actually does. There are times this important, when it comes to things like war, food production and natural disasters. A man you've never met changing his job? Not so much.

ajsr1982
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

G

reat article. Hits the nail on the head. Encapsulates why I don't read tabloid newspapers anymore. The only thing worse is the 'told you so first' headline when they get lucky.

ianonabeach
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

Footer 365

Transfer news: Marco Reus said to have turned down move to Manchester United

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has told Onda Cero that Marco Reus rejected a move to Man Utd this summer.

Transfer News: Swansea complete deal for Napoli defender Federico Fernandez

Swansea City have signed defender Federico Fernandez from Napoli for an undisclosed fee.

FIFA committee rejects Barcelona's appeal against transfer ban

Barcelona will be unable to sign new players in the next two windows after a FIFA committee upheld their transfer ban.

Mail Box

Mailbox: Feeling Sorry For Poor TC23

If there's one loser in all the machinations at Man United, it's poor TC23. We have mercifully few mails on United, but lots on Arsenal and in particular Olivier Giroud...

Dear Brendan, Please Sign Di Maria

That's the request to Brendan Rodgers in the mailbox, and not just because it would annoy Man United fans. Plus, more thoughts on why Arsenal didn't want Cescy back...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property