QPR stint helped Townsend

England boss Roy Hodgson has admitted it was a scrap for survival with QPR that brought Andros Townsend to his attention.

Last Updated: 12/10/13 at 23:20 Post Comment

Andros Townsend: Impressed on his England debut

Andros Townsend: Impressed on his England debut

England boss Roy Hodgson has admitted it was a scrap for survival with QPR that brought Andros Townsend to his attention as a possible international star of the future.

Twelve months after suffering the desolation of relegation into the Championship with QPR, Townsend could well be preparing for an appearance at the World Cup finals following his dramatic debut in Friday's 4-1 win over Montenegro.

The 22-year-old is now bound to keep his place for Tuesday's final qualifier against Poland at Wembley, when a victory will confirm Hodgson's team as one of the automatic qualifiers for Brazil 2014.

It would be a success for the loan system if Townsend does make it.

For the Leytonstone-born player spent an incredible nine spells away from parent club Tottenham.

But it was those 12 games for QPR which really gave Hodgson a heavy hint he was ready for much bigger things.

"I know quite a lot about the young players at Tottenham because they have a lot of them," said Hodgson.

"Tom Carroll is one, Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton and also Andros Townsend. These were players I had been following all through last year.

"But when Andros got the loan move to QPR and did so well there it really alerted us.

"I have seen him play a lot of times for Tottenham this season, as have my staff, and he has more than replicated those QPR performances.

"He has made us sit up and think about him even more."

Townsend has been through his fair share of trials and tribulations.

He was fined £18,000 and banned for four months, three of them suspended, for breaching Football Association betting regulations in the summer, costing him a place at the European Under-21 Championships.

This season he has admitted to diving against Chelsea, something he publicly apologised for.

Townsend's maturity in admitting to the failings of youth bode well for the future but not as much as the dynamism of his performance against Montenegro on Friday, when he deservedly collected man-of-the-match honours with a display capped by a brilliant solo goal which effectively sealed an England victory.

"I am just delighted for Andros," said Hodgson.

"It can't have been easy for him can it?

"Making your debut in front of eighty-odd thousand people in a game we had to win.

"But he played like a veteran and scored a wonder goal."

Townsend's performance was also vindication of Hodgson's bold selection gamble, at odds with his conservative public profile, but which paid off handsomely.

"We decided to play Andros a couple of days ago," said Hodgson.

"Like all decisions, you think them through again but I suppose we made up our minds at the beginning of the week."


New Sky Bet customers: Claim free £5 bet every week


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

O

K FIFA we're done, you can ban us now

jimmyjazz
Barcelona transfer ban upheld

A

h Daniel. I could spend hours on this subject putting the world to rights. You can even take a step back and ask why football fans (and society in general) have this need to know that something will happen before it actually does. There are times this important, when it comes to things like war, food production and natural disasters. A man you've never met changing his job? Not so much.

ajsr1982
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

G

reat article. Hits the nail on the head. Encapsulates why I don't read tabloid newspapers anymore. The only thing worse is the 'told you so first' headline when they get lucky.

ianonabeach
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

Footer 365

Transfer news: Juventus insist there is no truth in Arturo Vidal to Manchester United talk

Juventus director general Giuseppe Marotta insists there's no substance to the talk linking Arturo Vidal to Man United.

Transfer news: AC Milan yet to receive an offer from Liverpool for Mario Balotelli

AC Milan insist they have not received an offer from Liverpool for their controversial striker Mario Balotelli.

Transfer news: Marco Reus said to have turned down move to Manchester United

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has told Onda Cero that Marco Reus rejected a move to Man Utd this summer.

Mail Box

So Long And Good Luck To Nani

A Mailbox that offers best wishes to a departing hero, defends Olivier Giroud, tells us to steady on over Calum Chambers and makes some amusing predictions...

Mailbox: Feeling Sorry For Poor TC23

If there's one loser in all the machinations at Man United, it's poor TC23. We have mercifully few mails on United, but lots on Arsenal and in particular Olivier Giroud...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property