Crazy to snub Ireland - Keane

Roy Keane says he would have been "crazy" to turn down the chance to work as Martin O'Neill's Ireland assistant.

Last Updated: 14/11/13 at 08:26 Post Comment

Roy Keane: Relishing chance to be back with Ireland

Roy Keane: Relishing chance to be back with Ireland

Roy Keane has admitted he would have been "crazy" to turn down the chance to become Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill's assistant.

The 42-year-old former Sunderland and Ipswich boss had been out of the game since January 2011 when he got the call from O'Neill, and he revealed the offer to work with his country once again was one he could not refuse.

Keane said: "I know people think I am a little bit crazy, but I would have been crazy to have turned it down, it was just too good an opportunity.

"There wasn't one bone in my body that said, 'No, this is not for me'. As soon as I met Martin and we discussed it, I thought, 'yes'. There was nothing to discuss. I just sad, 'Yes, let's go for it'."

Keane took his first managerial job at the Stadium of Light at the age of just 35 back in August 2006, and guided the Black Cats to promotion back to the Barclays Premier League in his first season.

He departed in December 2008 with the club languishing in the lower reaches of the table, and he spent a little more than 20 months at Ipswich before his reign was brought to an untimely conclusion.

However, the former Manchester United star is convinced he should have had more chances than he had to return to football before O'Neill brought him in from the cold.

He said: "I have had two opportunities to get back into football - one was working abroad, another was an international job - and it didn't quite fall into place, but there are certainly clubs in England I feel should have given me an opportunity.

"But a lot of coaches say that, so yes, it was frustrating, but also you need to be patient and wait for the right opportunity.

"I am just glad that someone like Martin O'Neill said, 'Listen, do you fancy coming and working with me?', and really with the Irish team, it seemed like such a good fit, I couldn't say no."

O'Neill revealed as he was unveiled on Saturday that there was no clause in his two-year contract that would allow him to leave for another job, and Keane is not even thinking along those lines.

He said: "We have signed a contract for the next couple of years, and that's the focus.

"It's always dangerous to sign any kind of contract thinking of some sort of get-out or what might happen further down the road. That's not in the mindset."

Keane is confident he can improve the players in the Ireland squad, and particularly the midfielders, although he was mystified by reports that he had told former international Ray Houghton that there are bigger talents in the current set-up than he was in his day.

He said: "I don't think I said that, no. I don't remember saying that. I don't know if Ray had a few pints in him.

"Maybe I said something along the lines of maybe there is more potential, and sometimes the players are the last to think that.

"Maybe there has been a mentality that when they play for Ireland or even at club level that sometimes they don't realise how good they are."


New Sky Bet customers: Claim free £5 bet every week


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

O

K FIFA we're done, you can ban us now

jimmyjazz
Barcelona transfer ban upheld

A

h Daniel. I could spend hours on this subject putting the world to rights. You can even take a step back and ask why football fans (and society in general) have this need to know that something will happen before it actually does. There are times this important, when it comes to things like war, food production and natural disasters. A man you've never met changing his job? Not so much.

ajsr1982
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

G

reat article. Hits the nail on the head. Encapsulates why I don't read tabloid newspapers anymore. The only thing worse is the 'told you so first' headline when they get lucky.

ianonabeach
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

Footer 365

Transfer news: AC Milan yet to receive an offer from Liverpool for Mario Balotelli

AC Milan insist they have not received an offer from Liverpool for their controversial striker Mario Balotelli.

Transfer news: Marco Reus said to have turned down move to Manchester United

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has told Onda Cero that Marco Reus rejected a move to Man Utd this summer.

Transfer News: Swansea complete deal for Napoli defender Federico Fernandez

Swansea City have signed defender Federico Fernandez from Napoli for an undisclosed fee.

Mail Box

So Long And Good Luck To Nani

A Mailbox that offers best wishes to a departing hero, defends Olivier Giroud, tells us to steady on over Calum Chambers and makes some amusing predictions...

Mailbox: Feeling Sorry For Poor TC23

If there's one loser in all the machinations at Man United, it's poor TC23. We have mercifully few mails on United, but lots on Arsenal and in particular Olivier Giroud...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property