Rene: Sidwell wants to stay

Rene Meulensteen claims Steve Sidwell "would love to stay" at Fulham, despite failing to agree terms on a new contract.

Last Updated: 21/01/14 at 13:36 Post Comment

Steve Sidwell: Out of contract at the end of the season

Steve Sidwell: Out of contract at the end of the season

The 31-year-old midfielder has been a key player for the Cottagers so far this season, scoring five goals in 20 Premier League appearances.

Fulham are in a fight for top-flight survival, with Saturday's 2-0 defeat to Arsenal leaving them 17th, just one point better off than the bottom three.

Sidwell has been a shining light in a disappointing campaign but is out of contract at the end of this season, having rejected a 12-month extension back in October.

Meulensteen has urged the club's hierarchy to find a 'suitable solution' to the contract stand-off, and told the Fulham Chronicle: "It's clear that Steve would love to stay here.

"He's doing very well here so I hope we come to a suitable solution.

"He will definitely get the credit he deserves from us. His fellow team-mates respect him, as do the staff, for the tremendous job he does for us."


New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

O

K FIFA we're done, you can ban us now

jimmyjazz
Barcelona transfer ban upheld

A

h Daniel. I could spend hours on this subject putting the world to rights. You can even take a step back and ask why football fans (and society in general) have this need to know that something will happen before it actually does. There are times this important, when it comes to things like war, food production and natural disasters. A man you've never met changing his job? Not so much.

ajsr1982
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

G

reat article. Hits the nail on the head. Encapsulates why I don't read tabloid newspapers anymore. The only thing worse is the 'told you so first' headline when they get lucky.

ianonabeach
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

Footer 365

Transfer news: Marco Reus said to have turned down move to Manchester United

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has told Onda Cero that Marco Reus rejected a move to Man Utd this summer.

Transfer News: Swansea complete deal for Napoli defender Federico Fernandez

Swansea City have signed defender Federico Fernandez from Napoli for an undisclosed fee.

FIFA committee rejects Barcelona's appeal against transfer ban

Barcelona will be unable to sign new players in the next two windows after a FIFA committee upheld their transfer ban.

Mail Box

Mailbox: Feeling Sorry For Poor TC23

If there's one loser in all the machinations at Man United, it's poor TC23. We have mercifully few mails on United, but lots on Arsenal and in particular Olivier Giroud...

Dear Brendan, Please Sign Di Maria

That's the request to Brendan Rodgers in the mailbox, and not just because it would annoy Man United fans. Plus, more thoughts on why Arsenal didn't want Cescy back...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property