Magath to remain Fulham boss

Felix Magath will continue as Fulham manager next season, the club have told Sky Sports.

Last Updated: 07/05/14 at 18:19 Post Comment

Felix Magath: Could not save Fulham after taking charge in February

Felix Magath: Could not save Fulham after taking charge in February

The 60-year-old German, who succeeded the sacked Rene Meulensteen in February, was charged with keeping the Whites in the Premier League but watched them tumble into the Championship with defeat at Stoke at the weekend.

The former Bayern Munich, Schalke and Wolfsburg boss signed an 18-month contract when he took over and vowed to rebuild an ageing squad after their 13-year stay in the top flight was ended.

And a Fulham spokesperson told Sky Sports on Wednesday: "Felix will manage the club next season. There has never been any ambiguity over his future from our perspective. He wants to bring us back to the Premier League."

Magath, who became the Whites' third manager of the campaign after they sacked Martin Jol and replaced him with Meulensteen in December, picked up three vital victories against Newcastle, Aston Villa and Norwich to take the club to within two points of safety last month.

But he was forced to apologise for a woeful performance in the 4-1 defeat on Saturday - their 24th loss of the season.

In a statement on the club's official website on Tuesday, Magath said: "I was appointed by Mr Shahid Khan realising that there was a distinct possibility that we would not survive.

"I was not only brought in until the end of the season with the primary target of keeping Fulham in the Premier League, but to build a team that can compete in the top flight. My commitment and desire to Fulham remains.

"During the summer months there most certainly will be many changes within the club. We obviously need to improve and redefine our playing staff, and we have in our academy team some talented, young and hungry players.

"I have experienced on many occasions, through working and developing youth team players, that they have the possibility to become top professionals. I am looking forward to the task ahead and to a successful future for all of us."

Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

put Ince in my fantasy football team, so it's no surprise at all really. I do that to players. Also responsible for De Jong and Upson being injured. Think I'll transfer in Di Maria just to ruin United....

megabrow (cufc)
F365's Top Ten Surprise Strugglers

L

ovren? £20m always seemed a touch on the expensive side, but I wasn't expecting him to be quite such a waste of money

stevenjameshyde
F365's Top Ten Surprise Strugglers

H

alf of our players have the physical presence of a 14 year old girl. I don't know why people are always shocked that they're injured.

TheWhiz
Wenger baffled by injuries

Footer 365

Premier League: Sunderland boss Gus Poyet delighted Lee Cattermole stayed at club

Gus Poyet believes keeping Lee Cattermole was the best transfer decision he has made while at Sunderland.

Manchester United news: Rio Ferdinand says he has nothing against 'gentleman' David Moyes

Rio Ferdinand says David Moyes is a "great man" and would welcome a chat with the former Manchester United manager.

Championship: Gianfranco Zola has emerged as favourite for the vacant job at Fulham

Gianfranco Zola has emerged as a leading contender for the vacant manager’s position at Fulham, according to Sky Bet’s odds.

Mail Box

It Was Better When City Were Rubbish

'I think I preferred it when we were s**t' says one City fan in the afternoon mailbox. There's a decent chat about the empty seats plus views on Liverpool and Roma...

Do City Really Need To Expand Their Stadium?

That's the question posed by one Man United fan in the mailbox after seeing the empty seats at the Etihad last night. Sadly, there isn't a single mail from a City supporter...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property