Astori pens new Cagliari deal

Italian defender Davide Astori has signed a three-year contract extension with Cagliari.

Last Updated: 23/07/14 at 19:19 Post Comment

Davide Astori: Has agreed a new three-year deal with Cagliari

Davide Astori: Has agreed a new three-year deal with Cagliari

Italian defender Davide Astori, the reported transfer target of several Barclays Premier League clubs, has signed a three-year contract extension with Cagliari.

The 27-year-old centre-back had been linked with Manchester City, Liverpool, Everton, Tottenham and, more recently, Championship club Leeds, who are now owned by Cagliari's former president Massimo Cellino.

But the defender, who made his debut for the Sardinians in 2008, has decided to remain at the Stadio Sant'Elia for another three years.

He told Cagliari's official website: "I've been here six years now and I've grown up and matured while in Sardinia.

"I wanted to show my gratitude to Cagliari. I thank president (Tommaso) Giulini: it is a decision we took together."

The Lombardy-born player spent five years in AC Milan's youth system before joining Cagliari, for whom he has made 140 Serie A appearances and scored three goals.

His commanding performances in the Rossoblu shirt have earned him wider recognition across Europe and he has also appeared seven times for Italy, scoring once against Brazil in 2013.

Cagliari director of sport Francesco Marroccu said: "We are extremely proud we have kept hold of one of our greatest professionals.

"Davide was in the last year of his contract and so the fact he wanted to renew with us shows he has great faith in the club."


New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

O

ne of the conclusions from this list is that Man City should never buy a striker in January - good luck Wilfried Bony....

Savinator
F365's Top Ten Worst January Panic Buys

I

was there, it was embarrassing - the team looked totally unbalanced from the off, the defence was woeful and when Mikel came off injured it got even worse with nobody in front of them. Up front on several occasions we had opportunities and nobody would shoot - it was a complete farse! On the back of Salah's performance I'm glad there is talk of getting shot...

Fly1ngh1gh
Cup defeat shames Mourinho

G

reat to see Tommy Rosicky getting some love. A wonderful player. Such a pity we lost so long to injury. I was so excited when we signed him, this resurgence only makes the absences seem more of a lost opportunity.

cheshire-gooner
16 Conclusions: FA Cup Fourth Round Weekend

Footer 365

Capital One Cup: Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers says Chelsea's Diego Costa was lucky to avoid a red card

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers believes Chelsea's Diego Costa was lucky to stay on the field in the Capital One Cup semi-final.

Capital One Cup: Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho insists Diego Costa does not deserve retrospective action after Emre Can stamp

Jose Mourinho thinks Chelsea's Diego Costa should be left alone to play football after a controversial outing on Tuesday.

Referee Michael Oliver to make final call on Diego Costa 'stamp' ahead of Chelsea-Manchester City game

Referee Michael Oliver will have the final say on whether Diego Costa is banned for this weekend's game against Manchester City.

Mail Box

The Problem With FA Cup Shocks...

...is that the draw for the next round is pretty shocking. Blackburn v Stoke, anybody? We also have mails on LVG and ManUnited, who drew plenty under Fergie...

You're Man Utd, For Crying Out Loud!

Defending a 0-0 draw with Cambridge on the grounds that other teams lost to lower-league opposition is not befitting of Man United. We're inclined to agree with Mailboxers...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company