Lambert charged by Kiev clash

England striker Rickie Lambert admits nothing will prepare him for the experience that awaits him in Kiev.

Last Updated: 09/09/13 at 17:24 Post Comment

Rickie Lambert: New experience

Rickie Lambert: New experience

Rickie Lambert may have endured soggy, unforgiving fixtures in the lower reaches of the Football League, but he admits nothing will prepare him for the experience that awaits him in Kiev.

Fifteen months ago Lambert was watching England play Ukraine on the television with his friends, but on Tuesday night he is expected to lead the line for the Three Lions in Kiev's Olympic Stadium.

The 31-year-old, who scored with his first touch against Scotland last month, set Danny Welbeck up twice and also got himself on the scoresheet with an opportunistic header as England ran out 4-0 winners against Moldova at Wembley last Friday.

The fact that the performance came 10 years after he was an unused substitute for Stockport at Port Vale just shows how far the former Blackpool, Rochdale and Macclesfield striker has come.

Even though the miserable midweek fixtures at the Moss Rose and Edgeley Park have made him into the player he is today, Lambert has never known what it feels like to walk out in front of a hostile crowd at a 70,000-capacity stadium before.

"I've never done that before in my life. It's going to be completely new to me," Lambert said.

"I've played at all the Premier League clubs away, and for me personally I'm never going to experience anything like that."

Pundits were quick to jump on Lambert's selection for the Scotland game as a sign of the lack of squad depth at international level.

But the Southampton hitman has proven in the last two games that he can cut it on the international stage.

As good as it was, Lambert's powerful header against Scotland still left many unconvinced that the 31-year-old had the all-round game that is needed on the modern international stage.

That talk was put to bed on Friday when he supplied Welbeck with two assists that any player in the world would have been proud of.

Lambert hopes all the talk of his stint working at a beetroot factory 13 years ago will now subside and give way to proper respect for his abilities as an England striker.

"I was a little bit annoyed with all the talk about that, but I understand that's my life, that's my past, so I understand people are going to bring it up," Lambert said.

"It's good to show to people that it can happen. I just want to impress."

That said, Lambert is still struggling to come to terms with his rapid rise through the ranks.

"I scratch my head and think 'I'm playing for England', it's very surreal," the Southampton striker said.

"I do it all the time. I'm playing with the players I've looked up to all my career.

"It's beyond any imagination what's happening at the minute, but I'm trying to stay cool, I'm trying to do what's important, and that's trying to do well when the kick-off starts."


Sky Bet Free Bet Club: £10 free bet - £5 free every week


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

O

K FIFA we're done, you can ban us now

jimmyjazz
Barcelona transfer ban upheld

A

h Daniel. I could spend hours on this subject putting the world to rights. You can even take a step back and ask why football fans (and society in general) have this need to know that something will happen before it actually does. There are times this important, when it comes to things like war, food production and natural disasters. A man you've never met changing his job? Not so much.

ajsr1982
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

G

reat article. Hits the nail on the head. Encapsulates why I don't read tabloid newspapers anymore. The only thing worse is the 'told you so first' headline when they get lucky.

ianonabeach
Time To Burst The ITK Bubble

Footer 365

Transfer news: AC Milan yet to receive an offer from Liverpool for Mario Balotelli

AC Milan insist they have not received an offer from Liverpool for their controversial striker Mario Balotelli.

Transfer news: Marco Reus said to have turned down move to Manchester United

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has told Onda Cero that Marco Reus rejected a move to Man Utd this summer.

Transfer News: Swansea complete deal for Napoli defender Federico Fernandez

Swansea City have signed defender Federico Fernandez from Napoli for an undisclosed fee.

Mail Box

So Long And Good Luck To Nani

A Mailbox that offers best wishes to a departing hero, defends Olivier Giroud, tells us to steady on over Calum Chambers and makes some amusing predictions...

Mailbox: Feeling Sorry For Poor TC23

If there's one loser in all the machinations at Man United, it's poor TC23. We have mercifully few mails on United, but lots on Arsenal and in particular Olivier Giroud...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property