No FA action for Kyle Walker

England defender Kyle Walker will not face any FA disciplinary action after he was pictured taking nitrous oxide.

Last Updated: 09/09/13 at 18:01 Post Comment   

Kyle Walker: No action from the FA

Kyle Walker: No action from the FA

Kyle Walker has assured England coach Roy Hodgson he intends to stay clear of nitrous oxide in the future.

Pictures of the Tottenham defender inhaling the gas were published over the weekend.

Although not illegal, there are health risks associated with the substance, which it appears Walker was not aware of at the time.

These have now been pointed out to the 23-year-old, who has assured Hodgson it will not happen again.

"Kyle Walker has expressed his regret for an error of judgement when inhaling Nitrous Oxide earlier this year," said an FA statement.

"The FA and England manager have spoken to Kyle about the matter and he has assured us it will not happen again.

"Inhaling Nitrous Oxide is not illegal, but we recognise the associated dangers.

"Kyle has accepted this mistake. He will not face any action under the England Player Code of Conduct."

Walker stated on his Twitter page: "Now I know the health risks, it was poor judgement on my part.

"I won't be doing this again and hope that no one else is influenced into putting their health at risk by my actions."

Walker was named as the PFA's Young Player of the Year in 2012 and has won seven caps for England since making his debut against Spain in 2011.

He won his seventh cap in Friday's 4-0 win over Moldova and with Glen Johnson and Phil Jones both ruled out through injury, will will start Tuesday's game when England need to avoid defeat to keep control of their World Cup fate.

England manager Roy Hodgson spoke about Walker when giving his pre-match media conference on Monday afternoon and said he was satisfied the player had dealt with the issue.

"I am happy, he has made his apologies and admitted a mistake. It was a long time ago, he'd forgotten it. It would have been much worse had it happened this weekend."

PFA deputy chief executive Bobby Barnes told BBC Radio 5Live:"It's important to bear in mind that Kyle is a young lad.

"Growing up in the public eye, not only will you see successes but you'll also see the mistakes that he's made.

"He is obviously very contrite about this.

"He's made a full apology and more importantly he's made it clear that he's aware of the dangers and he'll transmit that to other youngsters out there.

"The important thing to remember is that he hasn't committed a crime and it's not on the banned list.

"Having said that, it's something that's certainly not desirable for a footballer or a youngster to be doing."


Sky Bet Free Bet Club: £10 free bet - £5 free every week


Related News

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

I

may well get slated by other United fans for this, but out of the three contenders, I'd far prefer Liverpool to win the title. Yes some elements of their fanbase can be a bit OTT, yes they're our biggest rivals and yes it will make our poor season feel even more like the end of an era (Fergie's gone, Liverpool are back on top). However I just have to applaud Brendan Rodgers and the way he's turned Liverpool around in just a couple of seasons. It...

Mike_Christie
Please Stop Telling Us What To Think

H

ooray! We are all excited now, we beat a very mediocre team! With all due respect to WHU supporters, not winning that game shouldn't even be a consideration. This is the problem, there is no winning mentality at the Emirates - we're all congratulating ourselves beating a team that we have a winning record against.

TheWhiz
Wenger hails important win

I

s this meant to be an aspiration for United supporters? Moyes mediocrity strikes again. I see the Bayern boys don't want to sign for him, and his reputation amongst the senior European coaches make other key signings unlikely.

redbornandbred
De Gea's Europa League target

Footer 365

Contract news: Tim Howard has been handed an extension to his Everton contract

Tim Howard will be staying with Everton until at least 2018 after agreeing a two-year extension to his contract.

Neymar and Jordi Alba will miss the bulk of the remainder of the season

Barcelona forward Neymar has been ruled out for up to a month due to a left foot injury.

Transfer news: Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino warns off Luke Shaw suitors

Mauricio Pochettino says in-demand defender Luke Shaw will be staying at Southampton.

Mail Box

Mignolet Is The Reason For Liverpool Flying

Mignolet's bad kicking is the reason for Liverpool's success, whilst one man keep notes on F365 mails. Plus England excitement, Arteta and a bad Walsall experience...

City: Bottle Jobs, A Laughing Stock...

There are some harsh words for Manchester City and Manuel Pellegrini in the Mailbox this morning, as well as some rather nicer ones for Tony Pulis and his magic hat...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property