Next Game

Lille v Everton

Thursday, 23 October 2014, 18:00

Europa League Group H

Goodison Park

Last Game

Everton 3 - 0 A Villa

Saturday, 18 October 2014, 15:00

Barclays Prem

United Baines bid turned down

Everton have rejected an official bid from Manchester United for left-back Leighton Baines.

Last Updated: 28/06/13 at 09:17 Post Comment

Leighton Baines: Everton are desperate to keep the left-back at Goodison

Leighton Baines: Everton are desperate to keep the left-back at Goodison

Everton have rejected Manchester United's bid for Leighton Baines as they insist the defender is not for sale at any price.

Former Toffees manager David Moyes has made a move, expected for some time, to take the England left-back to Old Trafford with him.

However, the Merseysiders are in no mood to allow one of their prize assets to leave and are not prepared to negotiate.

Press Association Sport understands United have made an offer to Everton for Baines, with reports suggesting their opening bid was between £10million and £12million.

While that figure is way below what the Toffees believe is the market value for the 27-year-old, who is now challenging Ashley Cole as England's first-choice left-back, the club consider it irrelevant as they have no intention of letting him go.

Manager Roberto Martinez, who succeeded Moyes at Goodison Park, is due back in the country tomorrow after his commitments as an American television pundit for the Confederations Cup are over.

The Spaniard stressed from the moment he was appointed he wanted to keep his squad intact - with midfielder Marouane Fellaini another player linked with a number of clubs.

Chairman Bill Kenwright reiterated that view last night when he said: "It is difficult for me talking for Roberto but he thinks the squad is fantastic.

"He wants to hold onto it but he also wants to bring in two or three players in the positions were we need them.

"He hasn't met the squad yet. The first step is to get the players back and get to know them and bring in two or three."

Only yesterday Baines, Everton's most consistent performer over the last two seasons, spoke of how keen he was to start working with the new manager after his switch from relegated Wigan.

"He was one of the first names linked with the job and the feeling straight away was he would be a great appointment," he said.

"He has a different style to what we have been used to but I think it is progressive and it will move us forward.

"It is also exciting for the players to be able to try that now. The style in general appeals to a lot of people.

"We have time to work on it, whether it is a different style of play or whether the formation changes.

"By the time we kick the first ball of the season we will be well versed on what he wants to do."

Baines added on evertontv: "We've chatted on the phone. We missed each other's call a couple of times but we eventually spoke last week.

"It was just about speaking about the start of the season and looking forward to working with each other.

"Anyone you speak to only says great things about him, as a manager and as a person."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

W

e were a steaming pile of recently released dogs dinner.

popularpete,
Wenger: We refused to lose

I

m sure I'll be one of about 100 but the Monday's third allbum was actually Pill, Thrills n Bellyache. Brendan would kill for quality like that right now.

u man
Brendan Rodgers: Radiohead Or The Happy Mondays

I

heard them all talking on Sky last night about how Liverpool could not find a decent striker to buy and ended up panicking and buying Balotelli at the last minute. They all forgot Liverpool found Loic Remy and for some unfathomable reason rejected him at the last minute due to some mysterious medical issue. Liverpool's loss is Chelsea's gain.

Glenbrook
Carragher: Balo off next season

Footer 365

Jamie Carragher would be surprised to see Mario Balotelli at Liverpool next season

Jamie Carragher does not believe 'panic' buy Mario Balotelli will remain at Liverpool next season.

Carragher: Balotelli will leave Liverpool next season

Jamie Carragher does not believe Mario Balotelli will remain with the club next season.

Champions League: Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers rues defensive mistakes in Real Madrid defeat

Brendan Rodgers says he could have asked for no more from his side after seeing them taken apart by Real Madrid.

Mail Box

Oh Mario - Why Always Meh?

Come on in and play the Liverpool blame game. Is it the fault of Rodgers, Balotelli, Mignolet, Johnson, Markovic or Lovren? Plus, Arsenal fans annoyed in victory...

Do Man City Have A 'Small Mentality'?

That's one claim in the mailbox after Vincent Kompany focused on a few hundred CSKA fans sneaking into the ground instead of City blowing a two-goal lead...

© 2014 British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media property