Selhurst Park

Next Game

C Palace v Everton

Saturday, 31 January 2015, 15:00

Barclays Prem

Goodison Park

Last Game

Everton 0 - 0 W Brom

Monday, 19 January 2015, 20:00

Barclays Prem

Martinez: United bid a waste of time

Roberto Martinez has branded Manchester United's bid for Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines a "waste of time".

Last Updated: 20/08/13 at 13:50 Post Comment

Martinez: Has responded to the Manchester United bid

Martinez: Has responded to the Manchester United bid

Everton boss Roberto Martinez has branded Manchester United's £28million bid for Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines a "waste of time".

The Toffees dismissed United's joint offer for the two players "out of hand" as "derisory and insulting".

Now Martinez wants to put an end to any further speculation linking the pair with Old Trafford, where former Everton boss David Moyes took charge in the summer.

Martinez told evertontv: "It's been well documented what happened with the transfer speculation, that's been dealt with and it was all a little bit of a waste of time - time I don't want the players to waste.

"I think the start of the season was important for us at Norwich and I won't come out now and carry on talking about the speculation.

"The players have had the demands of international football and then they started the league with a lot of travelling, so obviously you can imagine it's been important these past few days that we can get them recovered, regenerate them in the right manner and get them ready for the next game.

"That, at the moment, is our only focus."

Belgium midfielder Fellaini and England left-back Baines have both been linked with moves out of Goodison Park for some time.

It remains to be seen whether United will submit fresh bids but they would have to be for substantially more than the respective £12million and £16million they are believed to have offered for Baines and Fellaini for Everton to consider selling.

Martinez has previously revealed that a buyout clause in Fellaini's contract, believed to be £23.5million, expired at the end of July.

Martinez has promised to keep supporters informed on the issues of comings and goings.

The Spaniard said: "I think the situation is very clear. I think as a football club we will always keep our fans informed.

"When there is something to tell our fans we will do that - they'll be the first ones to know if there are any players coming in or any players going out."

Everton opened their Barclays Premier League campaign with a 2-2 draw at Norwich and host West Brom on Saturday.

These are the matters he wants to be concentrating on and believes the transfer window should close before the season starts.

He said: "I don't believe in getting involved in the transfer window when the games are under way and we are in a very, very important moment of our season.

"We're trying to find our feet, we got a good start under our belts, we've got real competition for places and we've got the visit of West Brom at the weekend."


Sky Bet Free Bet Club: £10 free bet - £5 free every week


Related News

Most Commented

Readers' Comments

O

ne of the conclusions from this list is that Man City should never buy a striker in January - good luck Wilfried Bony....

Savinator
F365's Top Ten Worst January Panic Buys

I

was there, it was embarrassing - the team looked totally unbalanced from the off, the defence was woeful and when Mikel came off injured it got even worse with nobody in front of them. Up front on several occasions we had opportunities and nobody would shoot - it was a complete farse! On the back of Salah's performance I'm glad there is talk of getting shot...

Fly1ngh1gh
Cup defeat shames Mourinho

G

reat to see Tommy Rosicky getting some love. A wonderful player. Such a pity we lost so long to injury. I was so excited when we signed him, this resurgence only makes the absences seem more of a lost opportunity.

cheshire-gooner
16 Conclusions: FA Cup Fourth Round Weekend

Footer 365

Three Bears consortium criticise Rangers board over Mike Ashley loan

The Three Bears consortium have criticised Rangers' decision to shun their offer in favour of Sports Direct's £10m loan.

Transfer news: Newcastle midfielder Moussa Sissoko happy at the club

Newcastle midfielder Moussa Sissoko is happy to stay at the club, despite rumours he is a target for Arsenal.

Transfer news: Samuel Eto'o leaves Everton for Sampdoria on free transfer

Samuel Eto'o has completed his free transfer from Everton to Sampdoria on a two-and-a-half-year deal.

Mail Box

The Problem With FA Cup Shocks...

...is that the draw for the next round is pretty shocking. Blackburn v Stoke, anybody? We also have mails on LVG and ManUnited, who drew plenty under Fergie...

You're Man Utd, For Crying Out Loud!

Defending a 0-0 draw with Cambridge on the grounds that other teams lost to lower-league opposition is not befitting of Man United. We're inclined to agree with Mailboxers...

© 2015 Sky Ltd. All Rights Reserved A Sky Sports Digital Media company