Agent: Arsenal failed in £34m bid for United target

Date published: Wednesday 11th January 2017 9:39

Manchester United target Kostas Manolas could leave Roma in the summer, amid revelations that Arsenal failed to sign him last year.

Manolas has emerged as a target for United in recent weeks, with Italian outlet Calciomercato reporting that the club could spent upwards of £44million on the centre-half.

Their interest is believed to have cooled with United’s recent upturn in performance however, with Jose Mourinho happy to rely on Marcos Rojo, Phil Jones and Chris Smalling as his central defenders through the winter.

However, Manolas’ agent, Ioannis Evangelopoulos, has told Sport FM that recent newspaper reports concerning his client’s future “are true”.

“There is no more news at the moment than what has been written in the newspapers – reports which, incidentally, are true,” he said.

“I cannot give any assurances but probably there will be something happening in June. In football it’s difficult to make forecasts.”

The Greek then revealed that another Premier League side – Arsenal – had actually bid for the 25-year-old centre-half last summer.

“I cannot say for sure where he wants to play next season but last summer Roma rejected an offer of €40million from Arsenal,” he said. “What the Giallorossi were asking went way beyond what the Gunners were prepared to pay.”


More Related Articles

Comments