Ambitious Watford pay high price for Success

Date published: Friday 1st July 2016 10:03

Isaac Success

Watford have followed up confirmation that captain Troy Deeney has committed his long-term future to the Hornets by announcing the signing of forward Isaac Success for a club-record transfer fee.

The 20-year-old Success joins from Spanish side Granada, for whom he scored six goals in 30 top-flight appearances last season, on a five-year deal.

Watford did not reveal how much the Nigerian Under-20 international had cost but said in a statement it was for a club record fee – thought to be £8.25m.

Success’ signing comes on a busy day for the Hornets, who having also secured the services of Belgium international Christian Kabasele, confirmed they had tied down sought-after forward Deeney on a five-year deal.

There had been speculation of a big-money bid from Premier League champions Leicester for the 28-year-old, who scored 15 goals last season, but following talks with the Hertfordshire club, Deeney will be remaining at Vicarage Road for the foreseeable future.

A club statement read: “Conversations have continued between Watford FC and Troy Deeney throughout the summer…. Watford FC is pleased to confirm that the result of these conversations is that Troy Deeney has signed a new five-year contract at Vicarage Road.”

Former Walsall trainee Deeney signed for Watford in the summer of 2010 and is confident the Hornets are moving in the right direction, as new manager Walter Mazzarri prepares to take over from Quique Sanchez Flores

“This club really means business and I want to be part of this,” Deeney said on www.watfordfc.com

“I have listened carefully to everything the club has had to say to me recently.

“We have talked things through in a sensible way – and it’s helped me fully deal with lots of my own thoughts.

“When you’re right in the middle of something, maybe you take it for granted how quickly things are moving forward.

“I don’t think I’ve done that; but by talking it over it’s clear that Watford isn’t ever going to settle for second-best – and that’s how I want to feel about my career so it works for me.”

Watford chief executive Scott Duxbury welcomed the new deal.

He said: “It’s been important to have considered discussions.

“Views have been shared and debated and there has always been a healthy dialogue between myself, Troy and his agent.

“Making big decisions is part of the accountability that comes with running a football club, and I’m aware of that.

“But for a player it’s perhaps even more crucial, because it’s about defining the future for you and your family, both professionally and personally.

“I have total respect for the time and diligence Troy has shown in coming to the conclusion he has.”

Earlier, Watford revealed they had concluded a deal for central defender Kabasele on a five-year contract from Genk.

The 25-year-old is currently at Euro 2016 with Marc Wilmots’ international squad.

Kabasele was born in the Democratic Republic of Congo when it was known as Zaire, and made 81 appearances for Genk after joining them in 2014. He became Watford’s second summer signing following Thursday’s confirmation of the arrival of Jerome Sinclair from Liverpool, with Success’ arrival taking it to three new faces.

More Related Articles

Comments