Ancelotti denies approach from Liverpool

Date published: Thursday 12th November 2015 11:17

Carlo Ancelotti

Former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed he was not approached by Liverpool prior to the Merseysiders’ appointment of Jurgen Klopp.

The 56-year-old Italian coach was linked with the Anfield hot-seat in the immediate aftermath of Brendan Rodgers’ dismissal last month and Harry Redknapp claimed Ancelotti had snubbed a potential move to the club, but it was soon evident that former Borussia Dortmund chief Klopp was Liverpool’s top target.

Ancelotti, who has admitted he would have “no problem” with a return to Chelsea despite his acrimonious departure in May 2011, says he is open to a return to England.

“I would like to come back to work in England,”Ancelotti told the Daily Mail. “I love the football here, I still have a house in London, and I would like to be with a team that is competitive in England and in Europe.

“I think Liverpool are a good team…I think they can be really competitive. But I did not speak with them. If I spoke with them I can say ‘yes’ but no, I did not.”

Ancelotti led Chelsea to a league and FA Cup double in 2010 but left the club a year later  after he was reportedly given the axe in the corridors at Goodison Park after Chelsea’s 1-0 defeat over four years ago.

“I would have no problem with Chelsea,” he added. “But Jose won’t be sacked. They already chose to keep him, and I think they made a good choice.”

Ancelotti is out of work after leaving Real Madrid at the end of last season and turning down an approach from former club AC Milan.

More Related Articles

Comments