Arnautovic vows to prove Moyes can rely on him

Date published: Saturday 25th November 2017 12:56

Marko Arnautovic hopes he has put a difficult start to his West Ham career behind him.

The £24million record signing had been made a scapegoat for the Hammers’ poor start to the season.

Arnautovic was sent off in his second game for the club at Southampton and was booed as he left the field during the home defeat by Liverpool which cost previous manager Slaven Bilic his job.

New boss Moyes has simply told Arnautovic that if he does not put the yards in he will not play, and the message seems to have got through.

The 28-year-old was given a standing ovation as he limped off having run himself into the ground during the 1-1 draw with Leicester on Friday night.

“It was hard for me at the beginning of the season,” Arnautovic told the club website.

“I got the red card, then I was ill when we played Swansea and it was hard mentally for me, but I think I’m ready, I’m fit and I hope I can give everything for West Ham.

“I’m not here for no reason, and I want to show the fans, the players and everyone involved at West Ham that they can count on me.

“I want to help the team, I want to give assists and score goals. Hopefully that can come in the future.”

Things looked bleak on Friday night for West Ham, whose fans turned on the board and the players during last weekend’s listless defeat at Watford, when Marc Albrighton put Leicester ahead after only eight minutes.

But Cheikhou Kouyate’s header on the stroke of half-time secured a first point for Moyes and eased some of the tension surrounding the club.

Foxes defender Harry Maguire told LCFC TV: “It was maybe a fair point in the end.

“We started the game well, in the first half it was a little open and that suited our attacking players, but maybe we could have been more clinical.”


More Related Articles

Comments