Aubameyang explains why he snubbed Chinese money

Date published: Sunday 6th August 2017 10:53

Speculation surrounding Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s future has been raging all summer, but the Borussia Dortmund star has confirmed he will remain with the Bundesliga side this season.

There had been interest from a number of European teams, but the Gabon international received his most solid offer from China.

Liverpool, Chelsea and AC Milan were three of the reported European suitors, but none offered anything concrete to Aubameyang, which left him considering the offer from Asia.

Speaking to Welt Am Sunday, Aubameyang said: “No one can say what the future holds. It is true that I talked to BVB before I went on vacation.

“I told them my thoughts, maybe trying to try something else again. It was open and fair discussions with Michael Zorc and Hans-Joachim Watzke.

“But none of the clubs that wanted me could make a change. So I’ll stay here. And I like staying here very much. I feel at home in Dortmund.”

Speaking specifically about the interest from China, the 28-year-old said: “Yes, I had an offer, but I think the Chinese have been hard pressed to make an offer to BVB.

“I think that the structures are not yet as professional as in Europe.

“I also noticed the back and forth when changing from Anthony Modeste. I am for clear things. And this matter was anything but clear, so I put it aside. I believe in God and fate. I believe that it makes sense that it has come so.”

Aubameyang also dismissed reports that his father had travelled to China to discuss the move: “My father was never in China.

“Of course, China was an option. It is normal that you think about it when you are offered so much money.

“I know that many people have said that you cannot go to China because football is a step back. But I think that every person would think about it when he gets such an offer.”

More Related Articles

Comments