Chelsea target Nainggolan says he is staying at Roma

Date published: Thursday 7th July 2016 11:09

Radja Nainggolan Belgium

Radja Nainggolan has insisted that he is staying at Roma despite reported interest from Premier League side Chelsea.

The 28-year-old, who has a contract with Roma until 2020, was a key part of the Belgium side that made the quarter-finals of Euro 2016 before losing to Wales.

New Chelsea boss Antonio Conte is a fan of the midfielder and reports had suggested that a deal had been struck between the two clubs.

However, Nainggolan has now distanced himself from the speculation by insisting he is happy at the Serie A club following talks with sporting director Walter Sabatini.

“I met with Sabatini and everything went well,” he told the press. “I am staying at Roma.”

This comes after Nainggolan had refused to rule out a move to Stamford Bridge in an interview last month, even teasing that he may want to link up with Conte.

“We’ve talked. He (Conte) already wanted me at Juve, but I told him that I would never go there,” said Nainggolan.

“Now he’s trying to convince me to go to Chelsea and we’ve had a chat about it. He’s an interesting person. We’ll see. I don’t know.

“We’ll just have to see what happens. Certainly Conte’s a good coach -you could see that at Juve, where he won, and also at Siena.

“He’s told me what he expects of me and what type of a player I could be for him.

“It’s important to know that a coach wants you so much. I’m not a player who scores 20 goals a season and provides 20 assists, but he appreciates the silent work that I do.”

More Related Articles

Comments