Clement backs Sanches to respond to debut criticism

Date published: Thursday 14th September 2017 6:45

Paul Clement says that there will no lasting impact of Renato Sanches’ poor debut for Swansea.

Sanches’ signing understandably caused a great deal of excitement in South Wales, but he was dire against Newcastle.

However, Clement believed that is hardly a surprise given the young midfielder’s lack of regular football over the last year.

“Renato is fine – he feels against Newcastle he did some good things and some things he could do a lot better,” Clement said.

“All players get criticism, all players get praise. I am in a similar situation and we just have to make sure we do not get carried away when things are positive and not go over the top on the other end of the scale.

“You can’t get down or despondent, you have to keep a middle ground.

“I don’t speak to the players about praise or criticism in the press. We go about our business and prepare for the next game.

“He was a big focus, a new signing in his first game but you can’t judge any player on one game or, as in this case, 70 minutes.

“A move to another country takes adaption, as does a new style of football – it is crazy to think it can happen and come together in one game.”

Which begs the question as to why Clement chose to play Sanches from the start?

More Related Articles

Comments