Coleman signs on for another two years in Wales

Date published: Monday 23rd May 2016 2:06

Chris Coleman Wales

Wales manager Chris Coleman has signed a two-year contract extension to take in the 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign.

The deal, which was announced at a Football Association of Wales press conference on Monday afternoon, ends uncertainty over Coleman’s future ahead of Euro 2016 in France next month.

Coleman succeeded the late Gary Speed in January 2012 and has guided Wales to their first major tournament since the 1958 World Cup.

Coleman had been linked with Aston Villa and Swansea over the last few weeks, but the former defender said it was always his intention to sign a new Wales deal.

“I am delighted to get this opportunity to build on what we’ve achieved so far,” the 45-year-old said.

“It’s a big challenge but it’s one that I feel we can conquer.

“Once you’ve had a taste of club management you do miss that day-to-day involvement because international management can be a bit lonely.

“There’s a lot of things out of your control which takes a bit of getting used to.

“But the over-riding factor is that I’m only going to manage Wales one time – it’s not a job you’re going to go back to.

“This is a one-off for me, and the fact there’s such a good group and a good feeling is not something I want to hand over to someone else really easily.

“This is not the time to sit back and enjoy the moment.

“This is the time we push on and do something special.”

Coleman said in March that there had to be changes behind the scenes in Welsh football for him to commit another deal.

He said agreement had been reached over those issues, with both himself and the FAW giving ground.

“It was very important that everything came to a conclusion before we embark on this journey in front of us, and we can concentrate on what’s made us strong,” Coleman said.

“It wasn’t a case of looking at what we’ve done. We need to keep on improving things and pushing each other before we even get to the players.

“Sometimes you’ve got to concede a little bit to get certain things you want.

“I think both parties showed real meaning in trying to get the deal done.

“The FAW showed that they really wanted me and I showed them that I wanted to stay.

“It went on a bit longer than we anticipated.

“But we wanted to do the right thing and I’m happy to be sitting here knowing that I’m going to get another campaign under my belt.”

FAW chief executive Jonathan Ford said he was delighted Coleman’s future has been resolved before Euro 2016

“We are delighted Chris will be our manager not only at Euro 2016, but also for the 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign,” Ford said.

“We wanted to acknowledge the fantastic work Chris has done with his staff in ensuring qualification to the Euros in France this summer.

“I think it sends a fantastic message to everyone involved, the players, backroom staff, all the staff at the FAW.

“There is no one better qualified than Chris to lead Wales into its first World Cup in 60 years.

“We wish him the best for Euro 2016 and he carries all our hopes and expectations for the World Cup campaign as well.”

Wales open their Euro 2016 campaign against Slovakia in Bordeaux on June 11 before playing group games against England and Russia.

More Related Articles

Comments