Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea has signed a new four-year contract at Manchester United, with an option to extend for a further year.
The Spain international, 24, who almost joined Real Madrid last month after a fee of £29million was agreed between the clubs, is now contracted to stay at Old Trafford until at least 2019.
— David De Gea (@D_DeGea) September 11, 2015
“I am delighted to be starting this new chapter in my United career,” De Gea told the club’s official website. “I have always enjoyed playing with these great players in front of our fantastic fans.
“Manchester United is a special club and Old Trafford is an ideal place for me to continue to develop my career. I’m looking forward to putting a difficult summer behind me and concentrating on working hard to improve and help my teammates to be successful.”
De Gea Timeline
- 2014: United offer De Gea a lucrative new contract.
- 2015: May 19 – De Gea wins United player of the year award for the second successive season
- May 22 – Louis van Gaal, in his final pre-match press conference of the season, reiterates his belief that De Gea will not leave for Real Madrid in the summer. “I believe still David de Gea will stay,” the United boss says.
- July 13 – Van Gaal names De Gea in his squad for the pre-season tour of the United States.
- July 24 – After missing the first two games of the tour through injury, De Gea starts – and plays well – in United’s 3-1 win over Barcelona in Santa Clara.
- July 29 – De Gea is substituted at half-time during United’s 2-0 loss to Paris St Germain in Chicago. Afterwards Van Gaal says “we have a situation that is not favourable for David de Gea, us and the club he maybe wants to go to (Real Madrid).”
- August 8 – De Gea watches from the stands as United beat Tottenham 1-0 in the first match of the season at Old Trafford. Van Gaal says he did not pick the goalkeeper because he felt he was not able to focus because of Real Madrid’s interest in him.
- August 13 – Van Gaal reveals De Gea told goalkeeping coach Frans Hoek he did not want to play against Tottenham. The United manager says De Gea will not play for the club until after the transfer window closes.
- August 31 – United agree a deal worth £29million for the sale of De Gea to Real Madrid, with Keylor Navas heading in the opposite direction, but the deal collapses after the correct paperwork is not submitted before the 11pm deadline.
- September 1 – United and Madrid issue statements blaming each other for the collapse of the transfer.
- September 8 – De Gea plays his first match of the season – Spain’s Euro 2016 win over Macedonia.
- September 10 – De Gea’s agent Jorge Mendes and members of the goalkeeper’s family are spotted going into Carrington to discuss a new contract.
- September 11 – United confirm De Gea has signed a new four-year contract with United, with an option to extend for a further year.
United boss Louis van Gaal has revealed his delight at the decision from the player, who joined United back in 2011 and has registered 175 appearances for the club.
“I am absolutely delighted David has signed a new contract. He is one of the best goalkeepers in world football. I am very pleased that he will be part of the team for many years to come.
“David made a very important contribution to our performance last season and he has been the club’s Player of the Year for the last two seasons. He is a popular player who is keen to learn and enhance his game. At such a young age for a goalkeeper, he has many years ahead of him.”