Duo earn Wigan crucial win

Date published: Monday 24th August 2015 1:24

The Latics went into the game knowing they had to win each of their last three matches to stand any chance of avoiding the drop to League One.
They were given a great start when Chow marked his full debut with the opening goal midway through the first period.
Brighton came back into it after the break and deservedly levelled through Dale Stephens.
But Wigan never gave up the ghost and were rewarded nine minutes from time when Perch bundled home a cross from Marc-Antoine Fortune to end a winless home run stretching back 231 days.
Brighton had flown out of the blocks and were almost ahead within seconds of the kick-off.
Craig Mackail-Smith raced through down the right and his effort was creeping in at the near post before Scott Carson made a good save.
The visitors were nearly in again when, from a corner, Stephens volleyed into the turf and saw the ball loop over the bar.
Wigan came into it more as the half wore on, and they went ahead midway through the first period. Jermaine Pennant created the opening from the right and Chow headed home from eight yards.
Rather than settle the home side down, the goal served only to provoke a response from the visitors.
Within a minute it was nearly 1-1 as Beram Kayal’s shot was tipped on to the post by Carson.
At the other end, William Kvist’s shot from distance stung the hands of goalkeeper David Stockdale.
Then, on the stroke of half-time, James McClean took advantage of a defensive error, only to be denied by the legs of Stockdale.
Wigan were good value for their lead, but Brighton upped their game after the break.
Kazenga LuaLua broke through and it required a great save from Carson to keep Wigan in front.
A defensive mix-up almost allowed Brighton in again, but the equaliser that had been coming finally arrived just before the hour mark. Danny Holla’s corner caused the problem and Stephens volleyed home from close range.
That was the cue for Wigan to throw on Emmerson Boyce and Fortune for Don Cowie and Kvist.
But still Brighton pushed forward and Carson pulled off another decent save to deny Inigo Calderon at the far post.
The home side were given a huge let-off when LuaLua skipped past Jason Pearce only to drag his shot past the post.
Having soaked up the pressure, Wigan then looked for a winner themselves to prolong their relegation fight.
They looked to be denied a blatant penalty when Fortune was tugged back in the area by Greg Halford, only for the referee to wave play on.
But there was to be one final twist at the death as Fortune’s cross was deflected goalwards by Stephens, and Perch bundled the ball home right on the line.

More Related Articles