Ross Barkley has reportedly performed a U-turn on a proposed move from Everton to Premier League champions Chelsea.
According to Sky Sports, Barkley has rejected a move to Chelsea after a £30m fee was agreed between the two clubs.
The midfielder travelled to London and started his medical at Chelsea’s Cobham hub, but reports claim that the England international changed his mind and is expected to return to Everton.
Matt Law of the Daily Telegraph did however claim that there is a chance Barkley didn’t begin his medical, but either way the plug on the deal has been firmly pulled.
Some confusion over whether or not Ross Barkley turned Chelsea down or failed his medical. Either way, it doesn't look to be happening
— Matt Law (@Matt_Law_DT) August 31, 2017
The attacking midfielder has previously rejected a new deal at Goodison Park, with Toffees’ boss Ronald Koeman insisting he expected to lose Barkley this summer.
In fact, Everton have arguably already replaced him by signing Swansea star Gylfi Sigurdsson, adding to the confusion surrounding the 23-year-old.
Barkley emerged as a late candidate for Conte’s side, who have added Antonio Rudiger, Tiemoue Bakayoko and Alvaro Morata in the window, having been told by Everton boss Ronald Koeman he could leave this summer.
But Moshiri told Sky Sports News the player had a change of heart and will now return to Goodison Park to continue rehabilitation on a hamstring injury.
“After the medical we heard from Paul Martin, Ross Barkley’s agent, that he changed his mind and wanted to reconsider his position during the January window, that is the latest,” he said.
“He is currently injured so I think technically he will be with us because he is under contract for another year so it is a big surprise but that is football.”