Former player reveals Palace are closing on free transfer

Date published: Tuesday 5th September 2017 10:55

Crystal Palace are set to sign a free agent in the coming days, according to a player who has been released to free up the squad space.

Keeper Kleton Perntreou was released earlier this week after failing to make a single appearance for the club following his arrival from Hibernian in 2015.

The 22-year-old has suggested that Palace decided to release him to free up a space in their 25-man Premier League squad for a free signing.

Clubs are able to sign free agents despite the transfer window closing last week, and Perntreou says he was released to allow the club to bring a player in.

“I got told by the club officials that they needed to free up a space in the 25 man squad for a new signing that should be coming in the next few days,” he told the South London Press.

“They offered to pay me out but I can still come in and train until I am able to find a new club as it all happened really quick.”

Palace only named 24 players in their 25-man squad, and so now have room for two free agents, should they wish to sign any.

The club have been linked with Bacary Sagna, while Jan Kirchhoff, Sebastien Bassong and Youssouf Mulumbu are among those with Premier League experience who are out of contract.

Joe Ledley, Marouane Chamakh and Mathieu Flamini are also unattached, but Palace might be reluctant to re-sign them. You never know.

More Related Articles

Comments