Germany vs Holland off amid ‘terrorist threat’

Date published: Tuesday 17th November 2015 9:08

Germany vs Holland

Germany’s international friendly against Holland was cancelled on Tuesday evening amid fears it would be targeted by a terrorist attack.

The match in Hanover was due to begin at 7.45pm GMT but a security alert saw police step in at around 6pm to prevent it taking place.

The German football federation (DFB) announced in a short Twitter statement: “The team are in a safe place. The match will not go ahead.”

Its spokesman Jens Grittner wrote on Twitter: “We were on our way into the stadium and were diverted by the police to a safe place. We cannot say more at this time. Please understand.”

German broadcaster NDR quoted Hanover police chief Volker Kluwe as saying: “We have had concrete evidence that someone wanted to ignite an explosive device at the stadium.”

Dutch newspaper Telegraaf said one suspicious package was found that was later shown to be harmless.

Announcing the cancellation, a stadium public address announcer at the Niedersachsenstadion said: “I’m sorry but the match has just been called off.”

The announcer said there was “no danger”.

Germany were caught up in the attacks in Paris on Friday, with explosions heard outside the Stade de France during their friendly against France as suicide bombers detonated devices.

Attacks in the French capital have so far claimed at least 129 lives.

Belgium’s friendly against Spain, which was also due to be played on Tuesday, was cancelled on Monday night due to an increased terrorism threat.

More Related Articles

Comments