NEWCASTLE MAKE SHELVEY BID
This one is very quickly gathering pace with Luke Edwards of the Daily Telegraph claiming that Newcastle have now actually made a £10m bid for Jonjo Shelvey; they can expect little resistance from Swansea, who paid just £5m for the England midfielder and will be happy to make a profit on a player whose career has stalled in Wales.
The same report suggests that Newcastle boss Steve McClaren ‘is also expecting the club to sign another centre forward this month who has plenty of previous experience in English football’. That player seems unlikely to be Loic Remy, who wants to remain in London. Bordeaux captain Henri Saivet is also expected to sign.
After seeing Shelvey put that shift in against Oxford he'll be well up for the Newcastle relegation fight.. #Not
— Carl Mortimer (@CarlMSX) January 11, 2016
Actually Saviet is on Tyneside for a medical, as confirmed by McClaren himself.
McClaren on Saivet: "He's in the building, when it's confirmed we will talk about his assets and what he will bring" #nufc
— Lee Ryder (@lee_ryder) January 11, 2016
CHELSEA TABLE TEIXEIRA BID. OR WANT BACCA
You can see why Giid Hiddink might want a new striker at Chelsea. Diego Costa is in resurgent form, but behind him there is an empty, dusty shelf. Radamel Falcao is injured for two months, with fears growing that his career is basically done for, while the club is still trying to move on Loic Remy. That’s not exactly a show of faith, given the circumstances.
The Daily Star reckon that Chelsea have offered a contract to Shakhtar Donetsk striker Alex Teixeira, although that would hint that a fee had already been agreed. There isn’t much evidence for that, but £30million has long been rumoured. Alex is a striker who topped our top ten big fish in small ponds list, which we can all agree is quite the honour.
Elsewhere, Gazzetta dello Sport claims that Milan striker Carlos Bacca is the one Chelsea want, but we’re not convinced about that. Chelsea paying £30m for a 29-year-old striker without any experience in England would seem a huge risk. Still, whadda we know?
NEWCASTLE IN TALKS WITH SAIVET AND SHELVEY, AND WANT BERAHINO
Having £1billion knocked off the value of his company doesn’t seem to have stopped Mike Ashley wanting to spend money in order to fend off relegation at Newcastle. That’s if the papers know their onions.
Firstly, the Mirror says that Newcastle will increase their £3m bid for Bordeaux midfielder Henri Saivet. Saivet can play centrally or out wide, and is reportedly also wanted by Southampton. Because Newcastle don’t have enough French midfielders who are unsure of their exact position.
Next up is Jonjo Shelvey, who The Sun say is on the verge of completing a move from Swansea. Shelvey played for England as recently as November, but his relationship with Swansea has soured since, and Newcastle think they can get a deal done for £10m.
Finally, the Daily Mail say that Newcastle are weighing up an £18m bid for Saido Berahino. We’re about to find out whether West Brom really don’t want to sell their star asset, or just don’t want to sell him to Tottenham.
BALE’S STAYING, SO START THE SUMMER RUMOURS
Gareth Bale is not leaving in January, everyone. Sorry, we know. We thought he was definitely moving to Manchester United in January too. Everyone told us so.
Still, when Bale himself says that he’s happy both at Real Madrid and playing under Zinedine Zidane, rumours will tend to dry up. So, when a January deal is ruled out, what is next? Talks of a summer move of course!
‘Manchester United are ready to pay a world record £90m (€120m) to bring Gareth Bale back to the Premier League, with Bale’s future at Real Madrid in severe doubt after the sacking of Rafael Benitez as manager,’ says a paragraph in The Sunday Times.
It’s going to be a long 2016. It was a long 2015.
ARSENAL’S ELNENY DEAL ALMOST DONE
There was a slight delay in Arsenal’s signing of Mohamed Elneny, but the move will be confirmed within the next 24 hours. That’s according to widespread reports, which state the fee as £7.4m.
The 23-year-old Egyptian will be an answer to Arsenal’s central midfield crisis, but supporters might be slightly perturbed by hints from Arsene Wenger that Elneny will be the club’s only January signing.
It’s probably also worth pointing out that Elneny has been left on the bench by Basel for 16 league games in the last two seasons. He’s a key player for the Swiss champions, but not their most valuable asset.
AND THE REST
Tottenham defender Federico Fazio is in advanced talks to rejoin Sevilla…Aston Villa could sign Mathieu Debuchy on loan from Arsenal this week…Watford pair Valon Behrami and Alessandro Diamanti are edging closer to the Vicarage Road exit door…Sunderland are close to completing a loan move for Trabzonspor striker Dame N’Doye.