ANOTHER MOURINHO TARGET
Reporting on Manchester United’s transfer targets ahead of this summer has been a simple task for British newspapers. Just follow these steps:
- Include Jose Mourinho in the headline, for he has already told his friends/agreed a deal/escorted Louis van Gaal away from Old Trafford ahead of being appointed manager this summer.
- Claim that Mourinho is the man behind the interest in the latest player, with his transfer ‘shortlist’ reaching unprecedented levels.
- Ensure that the player in question has a valuation of at least £40million, just to prove how massive United are.
Those steps are followed diligently by the Sunday People. ‘Jose Mourinho tells pals he WILL be Manchester United boss this summer — and lines up Gonzalo Higuain swoop,’ reads the headline on the Sunday Mirror’s website, who pick up Hopkinson’s claims in the People.
Higuain, who has already scored 32 goals for Napoli this season, is wanted by Mourinho, claims Hopkinson, but the £95million valuation could be a stumbling block, particularly for a 28-year-old.
NO WAY, JOSE
The Daily Star throw a considerable spanner in the works on Sunday. Mourinho may have told his friends/agreed a deal/escorted Louis van Gaal away from Old Trafford ahead of being appointed manager this summer, but the deal is obviously not yet done. The Portuguese has been linked with Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain, Inter Milan, Arsenal and a number of national teams in recent weeks. The Star throw another one into the hat.
According to Paul Hetherington, Everton have emerged as more than ambitious rivals for Mourinho’s signature. With billionaire investor Farhad Moshiri on board, the club would no longer have to worry over the former Chelsea manager’s wages, and they are looking to replace struggling boss Roberto Martinez. Talk about shopping in a different market.
Hetherington has more news on the Everton managerial situation. He claims that while Martinez is likely to be ousted in the summer, an FA Cup victory could well save him. If not, David Moyes is a candidate to return, while the club also have eyes on Frank de Boer of Ajax, and Southampton’s Ronald Koeman. Good luck.
BYE BYE, THEO
Let’s have some Arsenal news, shall we? First up is The Sun, who bring us an exclusive on the future of Theo Walcott.
According to Mike McGrath, the promising young 27-year-old is considering his options ahead of this summer’s transfer window. Walcott is ‘frustrated’ at his lack of playing time, having started just one Premier League game since the end of January.
If Arsene Wenger does not reinstate Walcott to his former status of regular first teamer, then Walcott could look to leave, says McGrath. The forward is likely to seek Champions League football elsewhere.
McGrath adds that Liverpool were interested at the time of Walcott’s latest contract renewal in summer 2015, and the club have the same scouting network as they did then under Jurgen Klopp. They have a different manager and vastly different ambitions, it must be said.
AND THE REST
Real Madrid have started to closely monitor prodigious Tottenham midfielder Dele Alli…Chelsea hope to beat Tottenham to the signing of young Fulham striker Moussa Dembele…Everton are eyeing Mainz goalkeeper Loris Karius as a replacement for Tim Howard…Claudio Ranieri is weighing up a £7million move for AC Milan midfielder Keisuke Honda…Massimo Cellino wants Italy World Cup winner Fabio Cannavaro to be the next manager…Tottenham are tracking 23-year-old Rennes winger Paul-Georges Ntep, who could cost £8million…England boss Roy Hodgson will reject the recent clamour to take West Ham striker Andy Carroll to Euro 2016.
Spurs and Southampton are set to battle for Charlton striker Ademola Lookman, 18, if the Addicks are relegated…Manchester United have agreed a deal to sign 16-year-old Swiss striker Nishan Burkhart…West Ham are plotting a move for Swansea forward Andre Ayew, who they tried to sign last year…Bournemouth are stepping up their pursuit of 19-year-old Leeds midfielder Lewis Cook…Lazio will reignite their interest in Sunderland striker Fabio Borini if the Black Cats are relegated to the Championship…Former Sunderland boss Gus Poyet is among the contenders for the Nottingham Forest job…Swansea are leading the race for FC Sion forward Moussa Konate…Crystal Palace will move for Brighton centre-back Lewis Dunk, 24, if the Championship outfit fail to win promotion.