Many updates on Berahino, Liverpool in for Yarmolenko, Enrique and Witsel staying, Michu to Stoke, Walters in-demand, Hector off to Chelsea, Everton bid £18.3m for Lamela..
BERAHINO GOES MENTAL AFTER FOURTH BID
This is getting tasty, folks. Spurs have had lodged a fourth bid for Saido Berahino, according to Sky Sports, with some reports claiming it is an initial offer of £5million with the rest paid in installments.
While that’s excellent in itself, Berahino has posted his reaction to the latest news on Twitter. Here it is:
‘Sad how i cant say exactly how the club has treated me but i can officially say i will never play Jeremy Peace.’
Is ‘Jeremy Peace’ some sort of weird card game up in the midlands? And why is Berahino refusing to ever play it again. Drama.
MAN UNITED PUT OFF BY REUS PRICE
Well, they are incredibly frugal with their cash, aren’t they? According to sources at ESPN, United asked about the availability of Germany forward Marco Reus when completing the loan of Adnan Januzaj to Borussia Dortmund. The Germans ‘were not totally resistant’ over their overtures, quoting a price of £60million to the Old Trafford outfit. Louis van Gaal and company baulked at said fee, only wanting to pay £50m.
They’re about to spend £36million on a 19-year-old forward with 72 appearances to his name, which is marginally higher than the amount of goals Reus has scored over his three-and-a-bit seasons at Dortmund (59).
CHELSEA’S MARQUINHOS OFFERS REJECTED
Chelsea have had two offers for PSG centre-half Marquinhos rejected today, according to Sky sources. They report that the offers for the 21-year-old Brazilian were between ’35m-55m euros’.
Then they went and bought Papy Djilobodji and embarked on a £4million move for Michael Hector. Bouncebackability.
THIRD BID LODGED FOR BERAHINO
…and it’s been rejected, says the Telegraph’s John Percy. No reports of the price or anything else, just that Spurs have had yet another offer for the West Brom striker rebuffed. Spurs have less than two hours remaining to barely rescue their window.
ADEBAYOR WANTS HUGE PAY-OFF
What a man Emmanuel Adebayor is. Manchester United (inexplicably) joined the long list of clubs he’s been linked to this summer, but his wages have continually acted as a stumbling block. According to the Telegraph’s Matt Law, Adebayor has found an ingenious solution.
Basically, he’s demanding that the remainder of his £100,000-a-week wages are paid in full for the final year of his contract, amounting to a £5million pay-off. Adebayor needs to negotiate such a deal before the 6pm deadline to be able to discuss moves as a free agent.
YEDLIN HEADIN’ FOR SUNDERLAND
Spurs may be uncharacteristically incapable of signing any players this deadline day, but they are continuing to ship out players as they have all summer. Next up is DeAndre Yedlin, that bloody rapid American full-back. He’s headed for Sunderland on loan, according to many, many sources.
AUSTIN STAYING AT QPR
It’s the summer window of non-transfers, and it’s actually quite nice. There had been rumours floating around through all of Tuesday (and for the past week) that Charlie Austin wouldn’t be leaving QPR, and the striker himself confirmed as such on Twitter. Plenty of hashtags, #obviously.
He has also since retweeted two comments from Sam Wallace of the Independent. The first says the striker is ‘likely to see out his contract that expires summer of 2016. The second says Crystal Palace made a final offer this week for the 26-year-old.
He may only have one season of Premier League experience, but he bagged 18 goals in that one season. Was £15million really too much for someone to cough up?
REDS PREPARE YARMOLENKO BID
We’ve managed to avoid Tuttomercatoweb throughout the day, but sometimes the temptation is too much. With under three hours of the transfer window remaining, consider us tempted.
According to our lovely Italian friends, Liverpool are preparing a “last assault” on Dynamo Kyiv winger Andriy Yarmolenko, which seems a bit out of order. They add absolutely nothing else besides that, which is “collected by our editorial team”. Great stuff.
Not. Gonna. Happen.
ENRIQUE NOT LEAVING
How about another update on Jose Enrique. We brought you news of Sunderland and West Brom’s interest in the left-back earlier in the day, but now James Pearce of the Liverpool Echo is reporting a move to the Baggies is “not happening”. He admits the Spaniard’s future is “uncertain”. Damn right.
MICHU LINKED WITH STOKE
Remember when Swansea signed Michu for £2million? Of course you do, everyone does. Well Stoke could be signing Garry Monk’s outcast next, according to Sky Bet. They’ve cut their odds for the Spaniard to move to the Britannia Stadium from 33/1 to 2/1. That’s how we do rumours now, folks.
NORWICH JUMPING THROUGH HOOPS DEAL
Not content with loaning out just one average fringe striker on deadline day, it looks as though Gary Hooper could be following Ricky van Wolfswinkel out of the Carrow Road exit door. Sky sources say Fulham are interested in a season-long loan.
UPDATE ON THE BERAHINO MOVE
Unfortunately for Spurs fans, it’s that there’s no update. Matt Law of the Daily Telegraph reports that there is “still no significant progress” in talks between West Brom and Spurs over Saido Berahino.
As far as we can see, it’s simple. If Spurs want Berahino, meet West Brom’s demands of £25million. Otherwise, no deal. It’s been the case all summer.
MOVE FOR AXEL GRINDS TO HALT
Tottenham were reportedly interested in the Zenit St Petersburg central midfielder, but Axel Witsel appears to have brought speculation to a close on deadline day.
The Belgian star told the media: “I will not leave. Zenit took that decision. They can’t find a player to replace me. It is a pity as I hoped to leave.”
Spurs had been looking at a deal for around £20million for Witsel. Moves for Victor Wanyama and Cheikhou Kouyate have failed so far, so whose next on their list?
LEICESTER DULY ENTER WALTERS RACE
…and they’ll be up against reigning champions Norwich and young pretenders West Brom in the race to be crowned Jon Walters’ next club.
In terms of Stoke, they are reluctant to let the forward go without bringing in another themselves. A £3million price tag has also been slapped on Walters, which, as yet, has not been met by any suitor.
DOUBLE DEAL FOR EVERTON
A couple of lines on the Toffees here. First, a bid for Steven Naismith from Norwich has been rejected by the club. Second, Roberto Martinez remains eager to press ahead with a deal to sign Aaron Lennon on a permanent deal from Spurs.
READING’S HECTOR OFF TO CHELSEA
Wait, what? Chelsea are closing in on the £4million signing of Reading centre-half Michael Hector, according to Sky Sports.
Absolutely mind-boggling, this. The 23-year-old had been linked with a move to Crystal Palace earlier in the day, but Chelsea have emerged as the frontrunners to sign the defender. Jose Mourinho is so unhappy at Chelsea’s inability to sign John Stones, he has gone out and signed two average centre backs in the hope of taping them together to become a ‘ > John Stones’ hybrid.
UPDATE ON THAT MAN LAMELA
He was meant to be off to Juventus, but that fell through. Then Inter Milan stepped up only to themselves fail. Marseille were in talks as of Monday, but Spurs reportedly pulled out of the deal themselves. Does anyone want Erik Lamela?
According to Le10Sport, someone certainly does. A reason for the collapse in the deal for Lamela to join Marseille is, according to the French newspaper, that a Premier League club have bid £18.3million for the winger. No wonder Daniel Levy pulled the plug on the Marseille deal if so; recouping anything near that on the club’s initial £25million outlay would be incredible business.
That Premier League club? Everton. Well, well, well.
SAINTS AGREE VAN DIJK FEE
And it’s a lovely £11.5million, according to the BBC. The 24-year-old Celtic centre-half will now undergo a medical at St Mary’s ahead of signing a five-year deal with the club. Looks a decent signing.
WILSON TO GO OUT ON LOAN
Louis van Gaal really trusts Wayne Rooney, doesn’t he?
Of the striking options he named behind the Englishman earlier in August, Javier Hernandez and Adnan Januzaj have both since been either sold or loaned out, while Marouane Fellaini is still Marouane Fellaini; a bumbling battering ram of a midfielder. James Wilson could be farmed out now, too.
That is according to Manchester transfer guru Jamie Jackson of the Guardian, who claims more than 10 Premier League and Championship clubs are chasing the striker. United are open to a loan deal for the 19-year-old, who was linked with Tottenham and West Brom earlier on Tuesday.
Jackson adds that Van Gaal is more eager for a short-term deal, leaving a potential recall open if he is needed. Huge pressure on Rooney and Anthony Martial.
MAN UNITED TO COMPLETE HUGE DEAL
Oh yes, this is the big one we’ve all been waiting for. Manchester United are signing a ruddy defender.
That’s the good news. The other news is that his name is Regan Poole, and he’s being signed from League Two Newport for up to £400,000. The 17-year-old has spent time training at both United and Liverpool previously, but the former have ‘won the race’ for his signature.
IBRAHIMOVIC TO ARSENAL
He’s the one that got away all those years ago. Could he be the deadline day deal Arsenal push through this year?
This one comes from the Evening Standard, who are one of many that Arsene Wenger has jetted into Paris this morning. Edinson Cavani and Adrien Rabiot are thought to be the main reasons for such a journey, but the Evening Standard briefly – and we mean briefly – float the idea of interest in Ibrahimovic.
In short, the Standard’s piece says PSG are unlikely to want to offload Cavani so late in the window, but that a ‘last-gasp, short-term alternative’ could present itself in Ibrahimovic. The Ligue 1 club are ‘open’ to allowing the 33-year-old to leave.
ENRIQUE INTERESTS SUNDERLAND
Read news of Sunderland’s approach for Tiago Ilori down below (one which has since been reportedly rebuffed, as it happens), but the Black Cats want yet another Liverpool outcast.
They will have to battle West Brom for the signing of left-back Jose Enrique, according to pretty much everyone. The 29-year-old has played nine games in each of his last two seasons at Anfield.
CALHANOGLU TO OLD TRAFFORD
Looks like Anthony Martial isn’t the only fella off to Manchester United on deadline day. According to reports in the Turkish media, it’s another promising young star headed to the Red Devils.
What’s intriguing about this rumour is that it isn’t being reported as such. It isn’t a rumour for Turkish media outlet Koprubasi, who claim United have signed – not ‘interested in signing’ – Hakan Calhanoglu.
The 21-year-old is certainly highly thought of, with his free-kicks a highlight reel’s best friend. Koprubasi claim the deal has been completed and Calhanoglu is a United player for €36m, which works out at around £26m.
UNITED PONDER GRIEZMANN BID
We’re not entirely sure if this actually constitutes a transfer rumour or just a fact. Decide for yourself on the following from the Daily Telegraph:
‘Van Gaal has a long-standing interest in Antoine Griezmann, the Atletico Madrid forward, and a deal could yet be struck for the France international if his £46.1m release clause at the Vicente Calderon is triggered by United today.’
In short: United could sign a player if they pay enough money. That’s a hell of an ‘if’.
OBSTACLES IN JEDINAK DEAL
So claims the Daily Mail, anyway. They claim that a planned deal for Mile Jedinak to join Stoke has hit a stumbling block over the Crystal Palace captain’s wage demands and what Stoke are willing to splash out.
It would be an interesting deal however, and the Mail do insist that Stoke remain confident of completing it. With captain handsome Yohan Cabaye and James McArthur ahead of him in the pecking order, Jedinak needs a move.
PEREZ STAYING PUT
Further to the earlier news that Tottenham were interested in striking a £15million deal for Newcastle striker Ayoze Perez, Sky Sports are now reporting that the Spaniard won’t be leaving St James’ Park this summer. Sorted.
SAINTS NOT SELLING WANYAMA
Another staying at their club is Victor Wanyama, according to Sky. Tottenham have again targeted the midfielder for a little while, but it’s all just too late for the north Londoners. Southampton aren’t selling, and why should they?
‘STUPID BID’ FOR GAYLE
Glorious work from Sky Sports and their wonderful sources, who claim Aston Villa have been knocked back in their bid to sign Dwight Gayle from Crystal Palace.
Sky don’t give us many details on the deal, not even whether it’s a loan or permanent, but they say Palace have rejected the offer. Their reason? Well, Sky sources have described Villa’s offer as a ‘stupid bid’. Glorious.
WEST HAM TO PROFIT FROM MOSES DEAL
Pretty much everyone is reporting this, but it seems West Ham are on the verge of completing the season-long loan signing of Victor Moses.
Not only that, but Moses will sign a new long-term contract at Chelsea ahead of the deal. He’s earned it, what with his zero Premier League appearances for the club since 2013.
A boost for Moses too, who continues in his quest to complete a loan spell at every Premier League side. With Liverpool and Stoke ticked off, the Hammers are next up.
WENGER TARGETS PSG PAIR
“I am always confident that a last-minute situation or solution is available, because the transfer market is especially moving in the last four or five days.” Arsene Wenger’s words from last Thursday were uttered with more than a twinkle in the eye. It’s deadline day, and Arsene wants to get busy (ooo er).
According to the Daily Mail, the Gunners boss is targeting not only a move for perennial target Edinson Cavani, but also for holding midfielder Adrien Rabiot. The move for Cavani is obvious; he’s a striker who generally scores goals. Arsenal have three this season, with ‘Own goals’ still their top scorer on just two. With Karim Benzema staying at Real Madrid, Cavani looks like the final available ‘top class’ forward.
The link to Rabiot is interesting, with the young, French midfielder ticking all of the boxes for Wenger. The 20-year-old is very highly-rated, and though he’d find competition for places at the Emirates early on, he’d be a fine buy by the looks of things.
GALATASARAY STRONG ON THE OX
There is more than a touch of ‘what a load of b**locks’ about this one from the Daily Mirror, who claim Turkish side Galatasaray are interested in making a move for Arsenal winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
John Cross’ piece is more than laced with ‘possibles’ and ‘maybes’, but he claims Galatasaray ‘have made contact’ over a move, and are ‘preparing a huge offer’. They’ll need one.
Basically, the 22-year-old has three years left on his contract at the Emirates, is obviously highly-rated by manager Arsene Wenger, and Arsenal really don’t need to sell. Not happening.
ADEBAYOR OFFERED TO UNITED
My word, Manchester United are bringing the transfer window to the most entertaining and bizarre conclusion imaginable. Forget the £36m Anthony Martial’s and the loaning out of back-up striker and actual winger Adnan Januzaj, forget the document confusion concerning David De Gea’s move to Real Madrid; Emmanuel Adebayor is rocking up at Old Trafford.
Well, they’ve been offered the Togolese striker, anyway. The Daily Mail and David Kent is the culprit for this one, as he claims ‘Adebayor has been offered to Manchester United as a solution to their striking problems’. ‘Any deal for Adebayor would be a shock’ wins the award for understatement of the season.
Spurs don’t want him, and Aston Villa and West Ham are the only other sides interested in him. Something tells us this is a load of guff, and that something is common sense.
SPURS LOOK AT BERAHINO ALTERNATIVE
‘Tottenham Hotspur could be tempted to make a last-gasp attempt to sign forward Ayoze Perez from Newcastle for £15million,’ reads the opening line of Adam Crafton’s piece for the MailOnline. Basically, Spurs have asked ‘are there any other small strikers in the Premier League aside from Saido Berahino?’, and Perez has topped that particular list.
Though Crafton admits a deal is unlikely with Newcastle both unwilling and not needing to sell, it presents a) a nice little increase on their initial £1million investment, and b) provides Perez with a bigger and better club. Spurs are confident they can convince the Spanish forward to move to White Hart Lane.
SPURS LOOK AT ANOTHER £15M BUY
One fears The Sun are only ‘breaking’ this story to use the headline ‘Mauricio eyes late Cheik in’, but apparently Spurs are interested in West Ham midfielder Cheikhou Kouyate.
If they cannot push through a move for Victor Wanyama in time, Kouyate is considered their back-up option. It’s another £15million valuation, and Spurs have again left it until the last minute to try and push through key deals. What could go wrong?
SUNDERLAND TARGET ILORI MOVE
Previously the graveyard for Manchester United players, the Stadium of Light is in danger of becoming the favourite haunt of Liverpool rejects. Fabio Borini completed his move yesterday to follow in the illustrious footsteps of Andrea Dossena, but could Tiago Ilori become the next Sebastian Coates?
The Daily Mirror claim that Sunderland are targeting the Portugal Under-21 international for a loan move up north this season. It would be beneficial for all parties by the looks of things, with Ilori gaining some much-needed Premier League experience, Sunderland snapping up a potentially good centre-half, and Liverpool farming out a youngster.
Sunderland boss Dick has been an advocate of Ilori’s for the past six months, reports the Mirror, and even had an approach turned down by the Reds back in June. Better luck next time?
BEST OF THE REST
West Brom and Tottenham are attempting to close a loan move for Manchester United forward James Wilson…Chelsea are close to signing Nantes defender Papy Djilobodji…Southampton are resisting Tottenham’s strenuous attempts to land Victor Wanyama before Tuesday’s transfer deadline…Tottenham will make one final offer for West Bromwich Albion striker Saido Berahino on Tuesday…West Brom are in talks over a £5m move for Napoli midfielder David Lopez but face competition from Leicester City…Everton are battling to snap up Swiss wonderkid Breel Embolo for £14.5m but the Toffees fear they could lose out in a January auction for the Basle teenager, who is one of Europe’s hottest talents…Steve McClaren looks likely to be frustrated in his bid to offload Papiss Cisse and bring in a new striker. The Senegal hitman, 30, is unsettled at Newcastle and wanted a move abroad, with Turkish outfit Galatasaray keen.
Bournemouth have agreed to buy Crystal Palace striker Glenn Murray for £5m…QPR have made a shock £5m bid for Club Brugge forward Obbi Oulare…West Ham have upped their bid for Nottingham Forest winger Michail Antonio to £7m…Everton will complete a £6m deal for Ramiro Funes Mori on deadline day morning after getting the all-clear on a work permit…Roberto Martinez is also still hopeful of doing more business before the transfer window closes at 6pm, as Everton reopened talks with Spurs over a possible deal for Aaron Lennon…Southampton are confident of completing an £11.5m deal for Celtic defender Virgil van Dijk and also keeping both Victor Wanyama and Sadio Mane…Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe has won the battle for Jonathan de Guzman on a season loan from Napoli…West Brom expect a final beat-the-deadline move from Tottenham for Saido Berahino on Tuesday that could pave the way for a double-raid by Tony Pulis on QPR for Charlie Austin and Matt Phillips…Jozo Simunovic and Ryan Christie will complete their moves to Celtic while Virgil van Dijk is poised to join Southampton for £10m.