MAN UNITED IN FOR £35M MATIC
The first bit of Manchester United news is actually fairly predictable. Jose Mourinho is a massive fan of Nemanja Matic, and his name has been linked with a move to Old Trafford before now. With Michael Carrick either leaving or slowing down, Mourinho will want a replacement.
An exclusive in The Sun from Mike McGrath claims that Mourinho is interested in spending £35m on the 28-year-old, which seems a little like false economy.
It also depends on Antonio Conte letting Matic go, after the Serbian was an integral part of their title-winning team. File this one under ‘unlikely’.
UNITED ALSO WANT FABINHO. AND DYBALA. AND NEYMAR. AND WALKER. AND SEMEDO. AND BAKAYOKO. AND NETO.
Deep breath for this one, because silly season is upon us. And no club quite gets the transfer buzz like Manchester United:
– The Sun on Sunday say that Manchester United and Liverpool have made enquiries for Monaco’s Tiemoue Bakayoko.
– The Sun on Sunday also say that United are after Pedro Neto, a 17-year-old striker with SC Braga who wanted by pretty much every big club in Europe.
– The Star reckon that Manchester United will make Juventus striker Paulo Dybala a summer target, which is several different types of optimistic.
– The Star also say that United and Manchester City will battle each other to sign Benfica right-back Semedo.
– Different right-back news comes in the Sunday Express, who claim that United could offer Luke Shaw as part of a deal to sign Kyle Walker from Tottenham.
– Not content with that probable guff, the Express also say that Neymar’s father reckons the Brazilian should quit Barcelona for the Premier League, with Manchester United interested. Don’t be so bloody stupid.
LIVERPOOL CLOSING IN ON GRAY MOVE
Now this is a move that makes sense. Demarai Gray has shown moments of pure majesty during his time at Leicester City, but has struggled to nail down a first-team place. Riyad Mahrez staying and Marc Albrighton improving again, plus Ahmed Musa being shoved out wide, means that Gray has only started nine league games before the final day.
In the Sunday People, Tom Hopkinson claims that Jurgen Klopp is very keen on sealing a move for Gray, and that a deal could be completed for £12m. He also mentions that Everton and Tottenham are interested.
Leicester only paid £3.5m for Gray when signing him from Birmingham, so this may be a move that works well for every party.
BOURNEMOUTH TO OFFER £40M FOR BEGOVIC AND AKE
Every year, we wonder whether this is the time that the transfer market has truly reached its silliest, with transfer fees pushed to outrageous levels thanks to the Premier League’s broadcasting deals. Maybe this will be the year.
Early evidence comes via the Sunday Mirror, with Neil Moxley claiming that Bournemouth are preparing a £40m bid for Chelsea’s Nathan Ake and Asmir Begovic. Yep, £40m.
Now then. Begovic cost Chelsea £8m when they signed him from Stoke City in 2015, and his value surely cannot have increased since then following two years spent on the bench at Stamford Bridge. Even if he is worth £10m, by Bournemouth (or Moxley’s) calculations that makes Ake worth £30m. Football is bloody silly.
AND THE REST
Everton have vowed to only listen to offers of £100m for Romelu Lukaku… Everton have been told to forget about signing Anderlecht’s Leander Dendoncker… Everton will rival Manchester City in the race to sign Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel… Tottenham will offer £12m for 17-year-old Fulham left-back Ryan Sessegnon… West Ham are in talks with Chelsea over a loan deal for striker Michy Batshuayi.
Swansea have joined the race for Anderlecht centre-back Kara Mbodji… Newcastle are eyeing a double swoop for Brazilian midfielder Gabriel Pires and Andre Gray… Chelsea are interested in signing 20-year-old Russian midfielder Alexsandr Golovin from CSKA Moscow… Roberto Mancini last night put West Ham on alert after admitting that he is ready to end his year-long break from the game.