Gossip: Mourinho wanted by national team. Syriasly?

Date published: Monday 4th April 2016 8:48

MOURINHO UPDATE
Jose Mourinho
was appointed manager of Manchester United late last year. He has already signed a number of players, including Raphael Varane, Ross Barkley and Renato Sanches (more on him later). There was one particular day where he signed 12 players, sold two and appointed a sporting director. It is why the latest update on the Portuguese may come as a surprise to those at Old Trafford.

According to The Sun, the Syrian national team have approached Mourinho with regards to taking over as manager. The Qasioun Eagles want the former Chelsea boss to assist them in qualifying for the 2018 World Cup, and have even written him – well, his representatives – a letter, which is lovely. Included within the letter is the line: ‘We would like you to know that we are open to negotiate with you the conditions required to sign Mourinho after both sides come to an agreement.’ Don’t hold your breath.

So we can add Syria to the list of clubs and now national teams who have apparently approached Mourinho, despite him being appointed United manager all those months ago. Said list includes Inter Milan, Valencia, Real Madrid and Arsenal. Syriasly?

 

COSTA TO REPLACE IBRAHIMOVIC
With Zlatan Ibrahimovic destined to leave Paris Saint-Germain at the end of his contract this summer, attention has seldom been placed on who the Swede’s replacement will be. The main concern is Ibrahimovic’s next club, but considering the striker has scored 144 goals in 170 games, his is a rather large pair of shoes to fill.

Is Diego Costa the man to do it? According to France Football, the Chelsea striker has ‘a record that please’ the hierarchy at PSG. Jorge Mendes has, rather predictably, attempted to secure a move for the Spaniard by contacting the French club directly.

The article claims that Mendes and PSG have a strong relationship after the sale of the agent’s client, Angel di Maria, to the French club from Manchester United for £44.3million. That, France Football reports, is a similar fee to the one Chelsea will demand for Costa, a man who has scored 14 goals in 34 games this season. That is a lot of money for a crazy 27-year-old. But still, it is nice to hear Mendes’ name again, isn’t it? (Clue: No).

 

SANCHES TO UNITED (STILL)
We promised you more on Renato Sanches, and we shall now deliver it.

Benfica midfielder Sanches has long been linked with a move to United. A £40million fee was agreed a while ago, according to reports, for the 18-year-old. Portuguese outlet A Bola provides us an update on where the move stands.

According to the newspaper, United ‘have agreed to pay’ £40m for Sanches’ services this summer. Which is strange, because a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ between the two clubs was widely reported in February. ‘Deal done: Renato Sanches agrees Man United move,’ reads the headline to a Daily Star story that same month. But only now is the move ‘said to be edging closer’.

 

DE GEA NEWS
He’s staying. He’s going. He’s staying. He’s going. Poor David de Gea is at the centre of a tug-of-war. Still.

What better man to clear up the situation than former Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon? The man who left his role at the Spanish club in 2009 can surely be described as a ‘club insider’. And what better medium for him to use than talkSPORT and their Weekend Sports Breakfast.

On Dea’s move for Manchester United to Real, Calderon said: “Apparently there is some agreement. They had a deal from last [summer] for him to come but I can’t tell you [for sure] as I don’t have personal knowledge of that.”

Apparently. Some agreement. I don’t have personal knowledge. We’re convinced.

 

AND THE REST
Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal are keen on Ajax and Holland midfielder Riechedly Bazoer…Antonio Conte was in London yesterday to finalise terms on his Chelsea contract…Sunderland have put a £6.5million price tag on Emanuele Giaccherini, who is on loan at Bologna and also wanted by Juventus and Lazio…Watford could hand Inter Milan’s former Newcastle full-back Davide Santon, 25, a Premier League return this summer.

More Related Articles

Comments