Manchester United make Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane their No. 1 target, Arsenal open Isco talks (they really don’t), Charlie Austin will leave in January if QPR get decent offer…
UNITED MAKE VARANE NO. 1 TARGET
What better way to start a Saturday then by taking a trip to France, so jump on board the Eurostar and travel with us all the way to the offices of Le 10 Sport. We hope you packed your suncream, passport and bulls**t-ometers.
They say that Manchester United have made Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane their No. 1 target next summer, with Louis van Gaal seeing the Frenchman as the ideal candidate to led United’s defence.
While there is no doubt that the 22-year-old is an excellent prospect and a worthwhile transfer target, you might have heard reports of a slight breakdown in relationship between United and Real over this guy named David de Gea. The idea of Real missing out on De Gea but then allowing United to slip in and take Varane is ambitious in the extreme.
ARSENAL OPEN ISCO TALKS
Three days ago the Daily Express claimed that Manchester City and Arsenal were both intending to try and sign Real Madrid midfielder Isco in January, but it now looks like things have moved pretty quickly. Unbelievably quickly, you could say.
Let us say this now and say this proud: This is all a load of Grade A gubbins.
What we have is a trail of speculative half-truths. On Saturday morning, the Metro write:
‘And now the Daily Express says Arsenal are looking to sign him in the January transfer window – and are already in talks over a deal.’
That Express story (from Thursday evening) says this:
‘Arsenal are reportedly set to go head-to-head with Premier League rivals Manchester City in January for the signing of Real Madrid midfielder Isco. Arsene Wenger is believed to have already opened talks with Real over a potential deal and is prepared to pay £22million to land the Spain international.’
That quote then links to a Daily Star story (from earlier on Thursday), which says this:
‘ARSENAL and Manchester City are to go to war with one another for the signature of Real Madrid star Isco during the winter transfer window, reports say. But Sport claim that the Premier League heavyweights are both still keen to do a deal for the 23-year-old midfielder when the window re-opens.’
That was the story that the Express picked up on. They’re basically using themselves as the ‘reports’ that then move the story on.
So Express > Sport > Daily Star > Express > Metro
AUSTIN TO LEAVE IN JANUARY
Finally, some news straight from the horse’s mouth. On this occasion, that horse is QPR manager Chris Ramsey.
With Charlie Austin surprisingly staying put over the summer, the instant assumption is that he will move in January in order to try and boost his England chances. You don’t get taken to an international tournament when playing in the second tier – unless you’re Steve Bull.
Ramsey admits that Austin could indeed be off when the window re-opens.
“We will see where we are in January and if the success is going the way we want it to go,” Ramsey said.
“Everyone has their price. Whatever happens, we have to do what’s best for QPR. If selling Charlie at that time is the right thing for QPR, then I’m sure the owners will make that decision at the time.
“We are in a financial situation that we need to address and Charlie as an individual has a dream of playing at Euro 2016. If Charlie performs as he has been the last few games, then I’m sure a Premier League club of his liking will come in for him.”
AND THE REST
There really isn’t much Gossip about. Maybe we should be thankful of that. It means that Premier League football is back and everyone is focused on what will happen and is happening on the pitch.