Sam Allardyce, who quit his role at Crystal Palace on Tuesday and seems happy to stay out of the managerial spotlight for now, is known for the odd colourful quote during his managerial career.
Here, from the studio which brought you ‘Outstanding: Brendan Rodgers in quotes‘, ‘Special: Jose Mourinho in quotes,’ and ‘Phenomenal: Roberto Martinez in quotes,’ we pick out selected highlights of his best sound-bites.
* “I’m not suited to Bolton or Blackburn, I would be more suited to Inter Milan or Real Madrid.”
* “It wouldn’t be a problem to me to go and manage those clubs because I would win the double or the league every time.”
* “Give me Manchester United or Chelsea and I would do the same, it wouldn’t be a problem. It’s not where I’m suited to, it’s just where I’ve been for most of the time.”
* “It’s not a problem to take me into the higher reaches of the Champions League or Premier League and would make my job a lot easier in winning it.”
On his style
* “It rankles with me at times that I have to remind people what I have done. You have to accept it for what it is. If you start talking about it too much, you just get labelled big-headed, people go ‘He’s blowing his own trumpet again, what’s he on about this time?’ but if no one else is going to talk about it, you have to talk about it. You have to fight your own corner. The lingering long-ball sh*t, the old style, all that rubbish that’s never been me and never been a part of what I am.”
On bypassing third-party ownership rules
* “You can still get around it. I mean obviously the big money’s here.”
New TV customers can continue to enjoy great entertainment with award-winning dramas, must-see series and comedies when they Join Sky TV and get 33% off selected Sky TV Bundles for 18 months. This offer is live until midnight 5th June. Click here.
On never getting a top job
* “I won’t ever be going to a top-four club because I’m not called Allardici, just Allardyce.”
* “That was tongue in cheek. I understand what I can do, I understand my ability as a manager and I just do my job to the best of my ability wherever I work.”
On himself again
“I don’t think there is any coach more sophisticated than me any more, that’s not trying to criticise any other coaches.”
“But there is only Arsene Wenger who has done it longer than me. I’m just as good as everybody at this stage.”
On Jose Mourinho
* “I don’t give a sh*te to be honest. He can’t take it, can he? He can’t take it because we’ve out-tactic-ed him, out-witted him. He just can’t cope.
* “He can tell me all he wants. I don’t give a s***e, to be honest. I love to see Chelsea players moaning at the referee, trying to intimidate the officials, and Jose jumping up and down in his technical area. It’s great to see.”
On Rafael Benitez
* “I don’t blame Benitez for claiming credit but as managers we know the truth. It’s like when you make a substitution in desperation and it comes off. You get all the credit for your tactical brilliance when it’s often just luck.”
On a 1-1 draw with Manchester United in February 2015
* “We couldn’t cope with long-ball United – it was thump it forward and see what they could get.”