Antonio Conte has issued a statement on his future after it was revealed he will leave Italy after Euro 2016.
It was announced earlier on Tuesday that the odds-on favourite for the Chelsea job would be leaving his role as Italy head coach in the summer.
Conte has since released a statement, saying: “At the moment, my focus is on the Euros, where we’ll try with hard work and sacrifice to do our best at the tournament.
“Anyone who knows me, knows I will give my total commitment to this. I feel I should go back to being a club manager, to have the chance to train with players every day.
“I want to thank the president and everyone at the federation who has followed me in this wonderful adventure.”
Conte has long been linked with a move to Chelsea, with the club seeking a long-term successor to Jose Mourinho since the Portuguese’s sacking in December.
Guus Hiddink replaced Mourinho in the interim, but the Dutchman has maintained that he does not wish to take the job full-time.
And now it seems that odds-on favourite Conte is closer to being appointed at Stamford Bridge after it was announced that he will leave his role as Italy head coach after Euro 2016.
Italian football federation (FIGC) president Carlo Tavecchio told the FIGC’s federal council: “Antonio Conte has told me that his experience with Italy will end after the Euros.
“He hears the call of the pitch and of daily work, which is understandable.”
Conte has been coach of the Italian national team since August 2014, when he replaced Cesare Prandelli after the Azzurri failed to progress from their World Cup group, along with England.
Italy then secured qualification for Euro 2016 under Conte’s tutelage, becoming one of only four countries to remain unbeaten throughout the campaign.
In terms of club management, the 46-year-old has enjoyed spells at Arezzo, Bari, Atalanta, Siena and Juventus. He won five trophies as manager in Turin.