Italy striker claims he rejected Man United in 2010

Date published: Tuesday 6th September 2016 9:21

Marco Borriello Football365

Marco Borriello claims that he rejected the opportunity to join Manchester United in 2010.

Borriello has scored two goals in two games for Cagliari since joining the Serie A side earlier this summer, but claims that he once had the chance to join United or Real Madrid.

The 34-year-old left AC Milan in 2010 after scoring 15 goals in 37 league games, but he opted to stay in Italy with Roma as opposed to moving abroad.

“I could’ve gone to Real Madrid or Manchester United, but I chose Italy and stayed there with a big club,” Borriello told Libero.

“I scored 17 goals in my first season, then in came a new sporting director without getting to know me and said ‘this is a problem’, and [the following] mid-season, I found myself somewhere else.”

Roma finished sixth in the 2010/11 Serie A. United won the Premier League that season and finished as Champions League runners-up. They fared alright without him.

More Related Articles

Comments