Jose Mourinho will sell eight of his Manchester United first-team squad this summer, according to The Sun.
We’re not quite sure how The Sun’s Mike McGrath has the names of those eight players, but the story itself is perfectly reasonable. Mourinho has previously stated his preference for working with two players for every position in his team, and United’s squad is bloated beyond that number.
The Sun use a United ‘source’, although even the source says ‘up to eight’ players, which isn’t quite the same.
The reason given for the clearout is to at least partly to fund a £100m move for Paul Pogba, though we can’t quite get on board with selling eight players to bring in one. Still, we’re only reporting what has been said.
The players mentioned by name are Marcos Rojo, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Morgan Schneiderlin as the most likely to leave, though we can’t see both of the last two going. Juan Mata’s name is predictably added to the list, as is Adnan Januzaj. Memphis Depay and Daley Blind are also namechecked. That only makes seven?
We did enjoy The Sun’s description of Depay as a ‘mega-money flop’, though. In the current market, is £25m really ‘mega-money’?
— Sun Sport (@SunSport) July 9, 2016