Koeman: Niasse in contention; updates on injured duo

Date published: Friday 22nd September 2017 2:20

Ronald Koeman says that Oumar Niasse is “in my mind” for selection against Bournemouth on Saturday.

Niasse scored his first ever goal for the Toffees in eight games in the Carabao Cup third round win over Sunderland on Wednesday.

The striker has endured a difficult period on Merseyside since joining the club in January 2016, and has only ever started two Premier League games – both under Roberto Martinez.

Koeman has offered something of an olive branch, although the Dutchman added that “some players will not be selected” at the weekend.

The manager said of the previously-frozen out Senegal forward: “Of course he’s in my mind for the weekend – but I have 29 players.

“There are some injuries, but still, some players will not be selected. Every weekend I have tough decisions.

“His attitude has been positive. If his attitude wasn’t okay, he wouldn’t have been on the bench on Wednesday.”

Koeman has James McCarthy (knee), Ross Barkley (hamstring), Yannick Bolasie, Ramiro Funes Mori (both knee) and Seamus Coleman (broken leg) unavailable.

And giving updates on McCarthy, Bolasie and Coleman, the manager said: “James is struggling with his fitness but I expect him back in training next week.

“Yannick and Seamus are both working hard, going in the right direction, but it’s long-term injuries. Normally, we expect them back in full training in November.”

More Related Articles

Comments