Liverpool prioritise Hernandez deal in summer

Date published: Friday 29th January 2016 12:05

Javier Hernandez Bayer Leverkusen

Liverpool have targeted former Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez as the man they want to revive their forward line, according to reports.

The centre-forward is currently with Bayer Leverkusen after moving from Old Trafford for £7.3million in the summer after falling out of favour with Louis van Gaal.

The Mexican, who reportedly turned down an offer to move to Anfield in 2014 when he instead spent a year on loan at Real Madrid, has hit the ground running in the Bundesliga with 19 goals in 23 matches in all competitions.

Arsenal have also recently been credited with an interest in the 27-year-old, but Liverpool are leading the chase after reviving their interest in the Guadalajara-born striker, says The Times.

Jurgen Klopp is believed to be eager to try and push through a deal before the end of the January transfer window, but the German outfit are unlikely to offload Hernandez this month and the Reds are more likely to land Hernandez in the summer when he could cost around £20million.

Earlier this month Bayer Leverkusen sporting excecutive Rudi Voller ruled out selling their star striker.

“We are a football club and it is important that we are successful,” Voller told Sky in Germany. “Chicharito has played a big part in our success so far, through his style of play, through his goals.

“That’s why we brought him here. In the first half of the season, everything has worked out fine.”

More Related Articles

Comments