Mourinho confirms Zlatan talks, hints at winger arrival

Date published: Friday 11th August 2017 3:45

Jose Mourinho has confirmed Manchester United are in talks with Zlatan Ibrahimovic over a deal for the second half of the season.

The 35-year-old confounded the doubters last season, plundering 28 goals before a serious knee injury brought his maiden campaign at Old Trafford to a shuddering halt.

Ibrahimovic was let go at the end of his one-year contract, but the veteran Swede is undergoing rehabilitation at United ahead of his expected return to fitness around Christmas.

Mourinho said during pre-season that a new deal was a possibility and confirmed ahead of the Premier League opener against West Ham that talks are under way.

“You know, he’s injured, he needs time to recover,” the United boss said. “He’s not ready to play tomorrow.

“It’s not something urgent, it’s nothing that you are desperate to have it done or not done.

“I just think that he was very clear by showing that what he did last year was not enough for him. He thinks he can do more.

“He wants more at football’s highest level, so we are having conversations and we are discussing the possibility of him staying with us for the second part of the season.”

Asked if full-back was an area he was happy with or looking to strengthen, Mourinho said: “You know 25 per cent means one of four.

“And we got a central defender that can play in many other positions, which is important. Victor can play right-back and can play central midfield.

“We got a central midfielder, we got a striker.

“Obviously the 25 per cent would be a player for another position, playing from the sides.

“But we have players and if we cannot strengthen the team in these areas, we have people that we can trust and we go for it.”

More Related Articles

Comments