Moyes: United’s struggles will continue

Date published: Friday 20th November 2015 9:28

David Moyes Football365

David Moyes believes Manchester United may struggle for “quite a period to come” and claims he would have done things completely differently had he known he would not be given the time he expected.

Moyes was sacked less than a season into a six-year contract after taking over from Sir Alex Ferguson in 2013.

The former Everton boss inherited a title-winning squad and left the champions in seventh place when United swung the axe with four games remaining.

Moyes, who has recently been sacked by Real Sociedad, claims he would have approached the job differently had he understood the short-term requirements and has warned United fans that it will be a while before the club returns to the very top.

“Whoever is manager was going to find it difficult and I think they are going to find it difficult for quite a period to come as well,” Moyes told The Sun.

“Following Sir Alex and the success he had over numerous years was going to be hard for anybody to follow. It was difficult for me. I was only in very quickly, I think it is a bigger job – it is a longer term job.

“I don’t think it’s a short-term job to get Manchester United back.”

“I think there needed to be an overall change. And, again, the manager Sir Alex had been there so long and was so good.

“It’s a tough job and I think it’s going to continue to be a tough job for a wee while yet.”

Moyes says he no longer dwells on his exit from Old Trafford but claims he would have done things differently had he known that he would not have been given the time he expected.

He said: “I’ve moved on. United was what I had built myself up to get to.

“I think if I had known it was a ten-month contract and not a six-year contract I would have completely treated it differently.

“We tried to give everyone an opportunity to show what they could do.”

 

More Related Articles

Comments