New deal for Gayle is news to Palace boss Pardew

Date published: Thursday 1st October 2015 12:00

Dwight Gayle Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew says he is “not aware of” any new deal in the pipeline for striker Dwight Gayle.

The 24-year-old forward was a target for both Norwich and Bristol City in the transfer window but remained at Selhurst Park and reports earlier in the week suggested Palace were keen to tie the former Peterborough star to a new deal.

Gayle grabbed a hat-trick in the 4-1 Capital One Cup win at Charlton and impressed when drafted into the attack for the Barclays Premier League game against Watford, where Palace won 1-0.

Pardew indicated Gayle would be in his plans for Saturday’s lunchtime kick-off against West Brom, when former Eagles boss Tony Pulis returns to Selhurst Park.

However, when asked whether the player was set for a new deal, Pardew said: “It’s not something I’m aware of.

“We obviously have to keep an eye on players’ contracts as they run down, but I think we are pretty comfortable where we are.

“Signing Yannick (Bolasie) was a real boost for us and having key players under long contracts bodes well for going forwards.”

The Eagles boss continued: “I was very impressed with him (Gayle) last Sunday. If he had scored two goals he would have been man of the match, and he could have, he was so unlucky with a couple of chances.

“That is what he gives us and he has worked his way into the team.

“He will play on Saturday and hopefully he will score.”

Palace recently added 17-year-old Anderlecht winger Jason Lokilo to the club following some time training with the under-21s and receiving international clearance.

Pardew feels the Belgian has a promising future.

“Jason is a young player that we brought from abroad, he has fantastic technical ability,” Pardew said at a press conference.

“He has lots to do to threaten our first team, but he is a smiley boy so we hope he does well here.”

Pardew reported no fresh injury concerns ahead of the West Brom match.

Connor Wickham, Mile Jedinak, Damien Delaney and Joel Ward are all in line to return following the international break.

“I am a bit frustrated because I have so many key first-team players missing,” he said.

“That is an area we need to put right. My medical team tell me by the time we play West Ham they will be back, and that will be much better news for us.

“But we are still strong this weekend, though. We are fortunate that the starting XI who are on the sheet most weeks are still there, which is good.”

More Related Articles

Comments